ABERCORN, West Lothian
"A village and a coast parish of Linlithgowshire. Lying ¼ miles inland, near the confluence of the Cornie and Midhope Burns, the village - a pretty little place, nestling among trees and gardens on the verge of a high bank - is 3 ¾ miles W of its post-town South Queensferry, and 3 NNW of Winchburgh station.
The parish contains also the hamlets of Philipstoun, 2 ½ miles SW of Abercorn village, and Society, on the coast, 1 ¼ miles E by N. It is bounded N for 3 ¾ miles by the Firth of Forth (here 2 ½ miles wide), E by Dalmeny, SE by Kirkliston, S by the Auldcathie portion of Dalmeny and by Ecclesmachen, SW by Linlithgow, and W by Carriden, from which it is parted by the Black Burn."
Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Abercorn.
- The transcription of the section for Abercorn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Below is a list of Abercorn's population during various years.