DALMENY, West Lothian
"A village and a coast parish of NE Linlithgowshire. The village stands 3 furlongs N by E of Dalmeny station. The ¾ mile of railway from the village to the Bridge belongs to the Forth Bridge Railway Co., and from Dalmeny a branch turns off to Winchburgh connecting with Glasgow and the west, and another to Corstorphine connecting with Edinburgh and the east. Dalmeny has a post office under Edinburgh, and is a pretty little place; it commands from its rising-ground a fine view over the neighbouring Firth.
The parish, containing also the hamlet of Craigie, since 1636 has excluded the royal burgh of South Queensferry, which it surrounds on all the landward sides. It is bounded N by the Firth of Forth (here from 9 furlongs to 3 ¾ miles broad), E by Cramond, S by Corstorphine in Midlothian and by Kirkliston, and W by Abercorn."
Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Dalmeny.
- The transcription of the section for Dalmeny from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Below is a list of Dalmeny's population over various years.
1801 765 1831 1291 1861 1274 1871 1492 1881 1660 1891 2091