KIRKLISTON, West Lothian
"A village in Linlithgowshire, and a parish also in Edinburghshire. The village, occupying a rising-ground on the left bank of Almond Water, has a station on the Queensferry branch of the North British, 1 ½ mile NNW of Ratho Junction, 3 ½ miles S of South Queensferry, and 10 W (by road only 8) of Edinburgh. It takes name from the parish church and Liston Manor, being distinguished by the prefix Kirk from Old Liston, New Liston, Over New Liston, Hal Liston, and Illiston or High Liston, all in the same parish. Some of its houses are good and modern, yet it offers on the whole a poor appearance; and has a post office, with money order, savings bank, and telegraph departments, an inn, and a long-established distillery."
Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Kirkliston.
- The transcription of the section for Kirkliston from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Below is the population for Kirkliston over the stated years.
1881 2580 1891 3777