Select map for larger scale

SOUTH QUEENSFERRY, West Lothian

"A small town and yet smaller parish of Linlithgowshire. The town is a royal and parliamentary burgh, the royal comprising all the parish of Queensferry, and the parliamentary extending into Dalmeny. It stands on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth, here only 1 1/8 mile broad, and has a station on a branch line of the North British, 5 3/8 miles N by W of Ratho Junction and 10 WNW of Edinburgh, from which by road it is 9 miles distant. Its site is a belt of low ground at a point opposite the peninsula of North Queensferry, and the intermediate island of Inchgarvie, where the firth is suddenly and briefly, but very greatly, contracted in breadth. The ground behind the town rises abruptly; and immediately at the summit, or even on the slope of the steep bank, becomes open agricultural country. The town comes first into notice as the station at which St Margaret, the queen of Malcolm Ceannmor, crossed the Forth in her numerous excursions between Edinburgh and Dunfermline during 1068 and 1093; and it received in honour of her both its present name and some early Latin designations of similar import. e.g., Portus Reginae (1164) and Passagium Reginae (1182)."

Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.

Click on the map at the right to access more maps of South Queensferry.

Gazetteers

Population

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last major update 14 Aug 2009 - Rosemary Lockie]
[Last updated 15 Dec 2010 - 11:51 by Mel Lockie]