TORPHICHEN, West Lothian
"A village and a parish of W Linlithgowshire. The village stands 1 ½ miles ENE of Westfield statiion, 4 ½ miles SSW of Linlithgow, and 2 3/8 N by W of Bathgate, under which it has a post office. A place of great antiquity, and once of much importance, it now has an entirely rural character, and presents a straggling but pleasant appearance."
Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Torphichen.
- The transcription of the section for Torphichen from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Below is a list of the population of Torphichen in the stated years.
1881 1526 1891 1724