WHITBURN, West Lothian
"A village and a parish of SW Linlithgowshire. The village stands, 620 feet above sea-level, near the northern verge of the parish, 3 ¾ miles SSW of Bathgate, 9 furlongs W by S of Whitburn station on the Morningside section of the North British, and 3 1/8 miles N by W of Breich station on the Caledonian, this being 21 3/8 miles WSW of Edinburgh and 27 7/8 E by S of Glasgow. A police burgh since 1862, it presents a well-built regular appearance, and has a post office, with money order, savings bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the Commercial Bank, a gaswork, a reading-room, a public coffee house and reading-room (the gift of Lady Baillie), a public hall, a cemetery, and bowling and curling clubs."
Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Whitburn.
- The transcription of the section for Whitburn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Below is a list of the population of Whitburn over various years.
1801 1537 1831 2075 1861 5511 1871 6911 1881 6326 1891 5782