We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"ABERFFRAW, a parish in the hundred of Malltraeth, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 16 miles S.W. of Beaumaris. It is a station on the Holyhead railway. Bangor is the post town. The village is situated on the bay of Carnarvon, and the port is subordinate to Beaumaris. The parish includes 9 tythings, and was formerly a market town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £888, in the patronage of the Prince of Wales. The church is dedicated to St. Beuno; its tower was destroyed many years ago. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Fairs are held on the 7th March, Tuesday after Palm Sunday, Wednesday after Trinity Sunday, the 15th August, the 23rd October, and the 11th December." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
White, Richard B. Excavations at Aberffraw. Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club (1995), p. 13-21
Central Stores, Aberffraw - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Central Stores in Aberffraw, Anglesey, was active in the 19th century; Account books and price lists giving names and addresses of customers 1826-1879 ..." Thomas Williams (draper), Aberffraw - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Thomas Williams was a draper at Bodorgan Square, Aberffraw, Anglesey...... Ledger, 1894-1925; and day book/ledger, 1892-1923, including details of customers, showing changes of addresses and clothing for clothing club purchases and Bodorgan Hall servants"
Owen Hughes, builder - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"An account book and working diary of Owen Hughes giving details of building materials supplied and services rendered by Owen Hughes, 1913-1925. Miscellaneous photographs including one of Miss Hughes at the door of 18 Llewelyn Street and two of classes of pupils at Aberffraw school."
- St Beuno, Y Fron, Church in Wales
- Aberffraw Chapel, Chapel Street, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist
- Beulah Chapel, -, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist
- Dothan Chapel, -, Dothan, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist
- Eglwys y Beili, Y Fron, Other
- Seion Chapel, Bridge Street, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Aberffraw area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Aberffraw Parish; Statistics; Area 6252 acres; Population 663 males, 669 females, total 1332
- Aberffraw Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor) Attendance - morning 78, afternoon 42 2 services in Welsh taken by the curate W J Poole, Rector
- Beulah, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1827 Attendance - morning 80, afternoon 60 scholars John Owen, Deacon, Pen Cnwc
- Bethel, Calvinists Erected 1788, rebuilt 1825 Attendance - morning 240, afternoon 200 scholars, evening 370 William Evans, Elder, Eagle, Aberffraw
- Gilead Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1806 Attendance - morning 102, afternoon 151 scholars, evening 186 William Williams, Elder, Cellan Farm
- Soar, at the east part of the parish, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1824, rebuilt 1849 Attendance - morning 127, afternoon 77 scholars, evening 120 William Rowland, Steward, Feramtynddryfol
- Dothan, at the north part of the parish, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1829 Attendance - (average) general congregation 90, scholars 50 Richard Jones, Manager, Cerrig Wynna
- St Bueno's Church, Aberffraw on geograph.org.uk
- Capel Talor Rodio [Calvinistic Methodist, 1860], Stryd y Capel on geograph.org.uk
- "Aberffraw [Calvinistic/Capel Uchaf] Methodist Chapel, [Chapel St] was first built in 1885 (1785?) and this building is possibly the present Sunday School. The chapel was then rebuilt on a new site in 1822, rebuilt again in 1860 and restored in 1905......." coflein and "Stone building possibly dating from late 18th century and either first chapel of 1772 or the rebuilt structure of 1785" coflein
- "Dothan (CM) Methodist Chapel was built in 1829, modified in 1849, rebuilt in 1860 and rebuilt again in 1902.............." coflein
- Soar, Bodorgan (CM) - on geograph.org.uk and "Soar Methodist (CM) Chapel (Bodorgan) was built in 1824, rebuilt in 1849 and enlarged in 1872............" coflein
- Seion, Wesleyan chapel on geograph.org.uk and "Gilead/Capel Isaf, Bridge St - Seion Methodist Chapel was first built in 1806, rebuilt in 1851 and rebuilt again in 1887............" coflein
You can see pictures of Aberffraw which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Aberffraw has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Held at Anglesey Records Office (NRA)
- Aberffraw Land tax; 1746-1814: assessments
- Parish; 1719-2000: records
- Parish Council; 1895-1985: records
- Tithes; 1924-36: tithe rent charge account books
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH354688 (Lat/Lon: 53.190736, -4.465203), Aberffraw which are provided by:
Aberffraw Branch of the Workers Union - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Undeb Gweithwyr Môn, subsequently the Anglesey Workers' Union, was established in Llangefni in 1909 and officially registered as a trade union on 17th August 1911. It was dedicated to promote the interests of the Anglesey rural working class ................................. The Aberffraw branch, the first formed, remained in existence into the 1980s"