GENUKI Home pageNeighboursNearby places

Anglesey Anglesey    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

BODWROG

"BODWROG, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 4 miles to the S. of Llanerchymedd. The Holyhead railway runs to the south of this place. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, of the value of 90, in the patronage of the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Twrog. The charitable endowments of the chapelry produce 3 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Bodwrog Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1813 acres; Population  164 males, 186 females, total 350

###################

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office

Details of extant records on the Archives Network Wales site

Gazetteers

BODWROG (BOD-TWROG), a parish in the hundred of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Llangevni, containing 312 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, and in the patronage of the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford, to whom the tithes and advowson were appropriated by Dr. Wynne, Chancellor of Llandaf, in 1648, subject to the payment of l. 5. per annum to the poor of this parish, and who generally present a scholar of that college to the living. The church, dedicated to St. Twrog, is a small edifice, situated on an eminence at a considerable distance from any human habitation. There is a small bequest of 12, given by Mr. John Lloyd, for the benefit of the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 99. 10.
( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Genealogy

Jones, J. G., Glyn Derw, Bodwrog, papurau (papers) - details on Archives Network Wales
"The Jones family of Glyn Derw, Bodwrog, Anglesey, were farmers during the 19th and 20th centuries and were linked through marriage to the Elias family................"

Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Records Office (NRA)

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)

Public Records

Bodwrog Vestry Book 1807-1815 - details on Archives Network Wales

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 25 Oct 2013-  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI