Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"CEIRCHIOG, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 4 miles N. of Aberffraw, and 3 from the Ty-Croes station on the Chester and Holyhead railway. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Llanbeulan, in the diocese of Bangor, in the patronage of the bishop." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Particulars and plan of desirable freehold farms and lands situate in the several parishes of Llanidan, Ceirchiog, Amlwch, Llangoed, and Llaniestyn in the County of Anglesea [sic] : sold by auction by Mr. Wm. Dew, 22 August 1861, at the Bull Hotel, Llangefni. Chester : W.F. and M. Healey, 1861. 6p
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Ceirchiog Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 613 acres; Population 81 males, 90 females, total 171
- Holy Rood Church in ruins "The scant ruins of the medieval parish church of Ceirchiog.........." coflein
- Capel Engedi [CM] - on geograph.org.uk and "Engedi Methodist Chapel was built c.1888 ......." coflein
- Hen Gapel Independent chaprl, Ceirchiog coflein
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Bryngwran section (in Welsh) has been extracted
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Ceirchiog which are provided by:
CEIRCHIOG, a parish in the hundred of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (S. E.) from Bodedern, containing 168 inhabitants. The name of this parish is descriptive of the produce of the soil, which is well adapted to the culture of oats, of which great quantities are grown in the parish and in the adjacent district. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanbeulan, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to the Holy Rood, is a small neat edifice, situated on an eminence in a large field on the south side of the road from London to Holyhead. A rent-charge of £2. 10. was bequeathed by Sergeant Wynn, for the benefit of the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £74. 6. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
You can see the administrative areas
in which Ceirchiog has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Estimate (by Robert Williams) of the cost of building a new house at Bodenlli Farm, Ceirchiog, Anglesey, 29th September 1809 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA)
- Ceirchiog Land Tax ; - 1745-1814: assessments
- Ceirchiog Parish ; - 1813-42: records
- Ceirchiog Parish Council ; - 1839-1921: financial papers
- Ceirchiog Tithes; - 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
- Ceirchiog Window Tax; - 1751-60: assessments
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH361768 (Lat/Lon: 53.262798, -4.458850), Ceirchiog which are provided by: