GENUKI Home pageNeighboursNearby places

Anglesey Anglesey    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

CEIRCHIOG

"CEIRCHIOG, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 4 miles N. of Aberffraw, and 3 from the Ty-Croes station on the Chester and Holyhead railway. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Llanbeulan, in the diocese of Bangor, in the patronage of the bishop." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography

Particulars and plan of desirable freehold farms and lands situate in the several parishes of Llanidan, Ceirchiog, Amlwch, Llangoed, and Llaniestyn in the County of Anglesea [sic] : sold by auction by Mr. Wm. Dew, 22 August 1861, at the Bull Hotel, Llangefni. Chester : W.F. and M. Healey, 1861. 6p

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Ceirchiog Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 613 acres; Population 81 males, 90 females, total 171

#######################

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Bryngwran section (in Welsh) has been extracted

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office

Gazetteers

CEIRCHIOG, a parish in the hundred of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (S. E.) from Bodedern, containing 168 inhabitants. The name of this parish is descriptive of the produce of the soil, which is well adapted to the culture of oats, of which great quantities are grown in the parish and in the adjacent district. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanbeulan, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to the Holy Rood, is a small neat edifice, situated on an eminence in a large field on the south side of the road from London to Holyhead. A rent-charge of 2. 10. was bequeathed by Sergeant Wynn, for the benefit of the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 74. 6. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Land and Property

Estimate (by Robert Williams) of the cost of building a new house at Bodenlli Farm, Ceirchiog, Anglesey, 29th September 1809 - on the People's Collection Wales site

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA)

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 25 Oct 2013 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.