Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"HENEGLWYS, a parish in the hundred of Malltraeth, county Anglesey, 3 miles W. of Llangefni, and 6 from Aberfraw. It is situated in a vale, at a short distance from the bridge over the river Cefni. The living is a rectory with the curacy of Trêwalchmai annexed, in the diocese of Bangor, value £383, in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Llwydian. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Roberts, John. Plans of properties in the parishes of Llanidan, Llanfihangel Esceifiog, Llanddaniel, Llaniestyn, Heneglwys and Llangefni in the couty of Anglesey. c 1756. 17 maps
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Heneglwys Parish; Statistics; Area 2062 acres; Population 270 males, 277 females, total 547
- Heneglwys Mother Church (Diocese of Bangor) Attendance - (average) morning 40 + 16 scholars, afternoon 50/60, evening 35 Services in Welsh J Wynne Jones
- Gad, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1841 Attendance - morning 190 William Roberts, Steward, Ty Capel Gad
- Sardis, Independents Erected 1814 Attendance - morning 55, afternoon 110, evening 81 John Jones, Robert Jones, Cerig Iuon- Official character
- Eglwys St Llwydian - on geograph.org.uk and "The church was rebuilt in 1845 using the old materials and on the same site as the original church. ....."coflein
- Capel y Gad, Bodffordd (CM) - on geograph.org.uk and "Gad Methodist Chapel was built in 1842 and rebuilt in 1893........" coflein
- Capel Sardis (Ind), Bodffordd - on geograph.org.uk and " ...... The cause began in 1814 and the first chapel was built in that year. .......enlarged in 1824, repaired ...in 1846 and ..in 1865...major rebuild ....... in 1895 ......" coflein
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Sardis, Bodffordd chapel (in Welsh) - with translation
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office
Capel y Gad Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Bodffordd, records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Records of Y Gad Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Bodffordd, 1893-1996, including notebook of the Committee of the new chapel, 1893-1894; account book, 1893-1902; committee minute books, 1921-1937; account book of the new vestry, 1934-1953; Sunday School records, 1931-1948; minutes of youth meetings, 1947-1964; annual reports, 1931-1936; and minutes of the officials committee of care and the pastoral care committee of Horeb, Bethel, Y Gad, Bryntwrog, Llangwyllog chapels, 1971-1996"
You can see pictures of Heneglwys which are provided by:
HENEGLWYS (HEN-EGLWYS), a parish in the hundred of MALLTRAETH, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W.) from Llangevni, on the Holyhead road, containing 335 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies the old church, is of considerably, extent, and is situated in a marshy district surrounded by rugged and rocky elevations. The scenery of the neighbourhood is wild and dreary : the lands are principally enclosed and under cultivation, but the soil is cold and unproductive. Its situation, about half-way between Bangor and Holyhead, on the new line of road, has rendered it a place of some traffIc ; and the Mona Inn, a spacious and commodious hotel and posting-house, has been erected here for the accommodation of travellers ; but the situation is bleak and exposed, and the immediate neighbourhood uninviting, consisting chiefly of swampy flats and rocky promontories. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Trevwalchmai annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £9. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Llwydian, is an ancient edifice, distinguished by no architectural feature claiming especial notice. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The Rev. Hugh Hughes bequeathed land for apprenticing a poor boy of this parish, and for other uses ; and William Bold, in 1688, gave land for the poor : there are also some smaller charitable donations, the produce of which is distributed among the poor. The average annual expenditure for the. support of the poor is £ 185. 16. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
- Heneglwys land tax ;- 1746-1814: assessments
- Heneglwys Parish; - 1693-2000: records
- Heneglwys Parish Council;- 1855-97: records
- Heneglwys tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH422761 (Lat/Lon: 53.258362, -4.367132), Heneglwys which are provided by: