Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANALLGO, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Twrcelyn, county Anglesey, 6 miles E. of Llanerchymedd, its post town, and 7 N. of Llangefni. It is situated on the northern part of Red Wharfe Bay, overlooking the Irish Sea. At a place here called Moelfre marble of good quality is obtained. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Llaneugrad. The rude little church of Llanallgo is a cruciform structure, dedicated to St. Gallgov. It has attained a melancholy celebrity as the burial-place of the corpses washed on shore after the loss of the Royal Charter steam clipper, on 26th October, 1859. There are remains of a chapel, said to have been built about the 7th century, and dedicated to St. Alltgo. Close to it is a holy well. At Moelfre is a cromlech of rather unusual size, resting upon seven supports. It is in contemplation to erect a column on the rocks above the bay to commemorate the loss of the Royal Charter." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Evans, Robin. Llongau a llongwyr plwyf Llanallgo 1780-1820. Cymru a'r Môr 19 (1997-98), p. 70-87
Hughes, S Roose. Pregeth ar longdrylliad y Royal Charter, a draddodwyd yn yr Ysgol Wladwriaethol, Llanallgo, Mon, ar y 13eg o Dachwedd, 1859. Caernarfon : J. W. Rees, pr, 1859. 12p
Lewis, Wynne. The parish of Llanallgo in 1851. Journal of the Aberystwyth Agricultural Society 1987, p. 83-96
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanallgo Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 659 acres; Population 209 males, 221 females, total 430
- Llanallgo Parochial Chapel Attendance - evening 47 John Griffith, Rector
- Paradise, Calfinistic Methodist Erected 38 years Attendance - morning 84 scholars, afternoon 203, evening 60 Ishmael Owen, Deacon
- Big, Wesleyan Methodists Erected 1850 Attendance - morning 36 scholars "The place that we have for worship his a dwelling house. We have no regular service only every other Sunday. We have school every Sunday. We have not taken any account of the congregation at no time. It his a rented house" Robert Robarts, Manager, Lligwy Penrhos
- Carmel, Independents Erected 24 years Attendance - morning 82, afternoon 81 scholars, evening 102 Robert Lewis, Deacon
- Llanallgo Parish Church site - church history, renovation of the bell, and also the story of the Wreck of the Royal Charter in 1859
- St Allgo's Church, Moelfre ".....A medieval parish church, restored and extended in the late nineteenth century. ..." coflein
- Eglwys Bresbyteraidd (CM) Paradwys - on geograph.org.uk and "....... was built in 1800, rebuilt in 1805, 1856 and rebuilt again in 1898..." coflein
- Capel Carmel, Moelfre (Ind) - on geograph.org.uk and "Carmel Independent Chapel was built in 1827 and rebuilt in 1872....." coflein
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of
- St Gallgo's Church
- Carmel Welsh Independent Chapel, Moelfre
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Moelfro section (in Welsh) has been extracted .Translation by Eleri Rowlands (July 2016)
You can see pictures of Llanallgo which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanallgo has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
- Llanallgo land tax;- 1753-1814: assessments
- Llanallgo Parish;- 1754-2000: records
- Llanallgo Parish Council;- 1930-74: minutes, records ; 1885-2002: additional records
- Llanallgo tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
- Llanallgo window tax;- 1760: assessments
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH504853 (Lat/Lon: 53.343372, -4.248646), Llanallgo which are provided by: