|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANBADRIG, a parish in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 3½ miles W. of Amlwch, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Llanerchymedd. It is situated at the head of a small creek on the coast, opening to the Irish Sea. The parish includes the township of Clygyrog and the little port of Cemmaes, which is visited by small vessels laden with coal and corn. There are extensive quarries of limestone and serpentine marble. Small quantities of yellow ochre and copper ore have been found. The village is considerable, and some of the inhabitants are engaged in fishing and in the coasting trade. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor, value £169. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is an ancient structure built on the same spot as one said to have been founded in 440 by that saint. It stands close to the sea-shore, opposite an island named Ynys Badrig, from a circumstance recorded in the legendary life of the great Irish apostle. There is a free school endowed with £24, and other charities producing in all about £37 per annum. In the neighbourhood are two cromlechs, one mutilated." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
D'Arcy, Patrick. The story of Llanbadrig. [Cemais, Gwynedd] : Patrick D'Arcy, . 20p
Edwards, Geraint Wyn. A short history of the churches and neighbourhood of Llanbadrig, Llanfechell, Llanfflewin and Bodewryd. Llanfechell : Y Parchedig Geraint W. Edwards,  46p
Gates, D G W. Y cofrestr plwyf Llabadrig (1754-1812), Ynys Môn, Cymru. Porthaethwy : Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Gwynedd, 1998. 55p
Williams, Llewelyn. Church of Irish saint in Wales [Llanbadrig, Anglesey]. Country Quest 29/7 (1988), p. 17-18
Windley, Brian. The search for the source of St Patrick's Stone, Llanbadrig. Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club (1998), p. 73-8
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanbadrig Parish consisting of the Townships of Cemmaes and Clygyrog; Statistics; Area 4097 acres; Population 597 males, 684 females, total 1281
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Cemaes section (in Welsh) has been extracted . Also for Seion chapel - translation by Eleri Rowlands (Nov 2013)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
Neil Summers' Amwlch data site has various indexes/databases;
Aerial photograph of Porthwen Brickworks, Llanbadrig, 1994 - on the People's Collection Wales site (use search box)
Llanbadrig - on wikipedia
Diaries of Reverend John Ellis - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Reverend John Ellis was vicar of Llanbadrig in Anglesey from 1770 to 1777 .................."
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date