|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANDDANIEL FAB, a parochial chapelry, in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 6 miles S.W. of Beaumaris. Llangefni is its post town. It is situated in the vicinity of the Holyhead railway, near the shore of the Menai Straits. The land is fertile and well cultivated. The village is small and chiefly agricultural. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Llanidan, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is an ancient 'structure, erected on the site occupied by a former one built in the early part of the 7th century. It is dedicated to St. Daniel Vab. The charities amount to about £10 per annum. There are remains of an ancient chapel called Capel Cadwaladr, standing, as its name implies, in an entrenchment." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Roberts, John. Plans of properties in the parishes of Llanidan, Llanfihangel Esceifiog, Llanddaniel, Llaniestyn, Heneglwys and Llangefni in the couty of Anglesey. c 1756. 17 maps
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanddeiniol-Fab Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1679 acres; Area 242 males, 237 females, total 479
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Cana section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Aug 2013)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
See Capel Cana below
Welcome to Llanddaniel - lots of content, includes MIs for Capel Cana
Llanddaniel Fab - on wikipedia
LLANDDANIEL-VAB (LLAN-DDEINIOL-VAB), a parish in the hundred of MENAI, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Bangor, containing 372 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the great Holyhead road, comprises a large tract of land, which is generally enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. It is a place of considerable antiquity, as appears from the date of the erection of its parish church, which was founded in the early part of the seventh century, by a son of the first bishop of Bangor. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llanidan, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Daniel Vab, is a very ancient and dilapidated structure, originally erected in the year 616, and exhibiting some good specimens of the architecture of a very remote period. One-third of the great tithes is appropriated to the vicar of Llanidan. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The interest of various charitable benefactions in money, amounting in the aggregate to more than £130, is annually distributed among the poor of the parish. Near Bodlew, in this parish, is a deeply excavated and irregularly elliptical area, forty-three yards in length, and twenty-seven in width across the centre, with an entrance at the smaller end. Near the centre of this enclosure are the remains of an ancient small building, called Capel Cadwaladr, supposed to have been erected by the last king of all Britain of that name, as an occasional place of worship ; but for what other purpose the area may have been excavated cannot now be ascertained, as there is no record of its history extant, nor description of any similar place in the kingdom. It is by some writers called Hen Fonwent, and is supposed to have been the oldest, if not the first, place of Christian worship established in the island. The progress of cultivation has nearly obliterated many of the vestiges of antiquity which existed in this parish : there are, notwithstanding, some traces of large carneddau at Bryn Kell, where two upright stones are still remaining, with some few others scattered around them ; and in several of the adjacent fields are some upright stones of large dimensions, apparently the remains of cromlechs. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £205. 12. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Bryn Celli Ddu Burial Chamber - on People's Collection Wales (use search box)
Jones, Larry A. Llanddaniel Fab, Ynys Mon, Cymru: Ei Phobl, Cartrefi, a Swyddi 1677-1831/ Llanddaniel Fab, Anglesey, Wales: Its people, places, and professions 1677-1831. Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd/Gwynedd Family History Society. Porthaethwy, Wales, 1999.
The Modern Antiquarian site - Llanddaniel Fab Standing Stone/Menhir - photographs
Held at Anglesey Records Office (NRA)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Threshing at Tyddyn Llywarch , Llanddaniel-fab c 1900 - on the People's Collection Wales site (use search box)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date