We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANDDONA, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 3 miles N.W. of Beaumaris, its post town. 7 from Bangor, and 7 N.E. of Llangefni. It is situated on the eastern side of Red-Wharfs, Bay. The ground near the shore is of a rocky nature, but the soil is mostly well adapted for agriculture. Many of the people are engaged in the herring fishery. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £87. The church, dedicated to St. Dona, is rather ancient, and occupies the same spot as one built in the early part of the 12th century. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The charities produce about £2 per annum. Here are traces of a camp and some defences believed to be Danish. From the hill called "Arthur's Round Table" there is an extensive prospect." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- St Dona, Allt Bron-Philip, Church in Wales
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanddona Parish; Statistics; Area 2387 acres; Population 326 males, 311 females, total 637
- Llanddona Parish Church Attendance - morning 64, afternoon 45 scholars 1 service in Welsh "Congregation attentive and religious and the Scholars well behaved and docile" William John Lewis, Curate
- Peniel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1850 Attendance - morning 167, afternoon 121 scholars, evening 275 William Williams, Deacon, Dona Mill
- Bethel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1849 Attendance - morning 70 + 56 scholars, afternoon 145, evening 74 Humphrey Jones, Minister
- Capel Peniel (CM) - on geograph.org.uk and "Peniel Methodist Chapel (Chapel Lane) was first built in 1814, rebuilt in 1850 and rebuilt/extended in 1888........" coflein
- "Bethel Methodist Chapel was built in 1849 ........." coflein
You can see pictures of Llanddona which are provided by:
LLANDDONA (LLAN-DDONA), a parish in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N. W.) from Beaumaris, containing 442 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Dona, who flourished about the commencement of the eighth century, and is situated in the eastern part of the Isle of Anglesey, upon a peninsular projection which separates the bay of Beaumaris from the Irish sea. It comprises but a moderate portion of enclosed arable and pasture land, which is in a good state of cultivation, and an extensive common, which, from the rocky nature of the soil, affords but indifferent pasturage for cattle. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any peculiarity of features, is pleasing ; and the numerous farm-houses scattered over the parish give it an air of cheerfulness not generally found in this part of the principality. A considerable herring-fishery is carried on during the season at Red Wharf bay. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £ 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Lord Boston. The church is a very ancient structure, supposed to have been erected about the year 610, and is situated very near the coast of Red Wharf bay. Several small charitable donations and bequests have been left by different benefactors to the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 172. 17. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833 )
Bryngolau (Llanddona) papers 1800-1899 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Deeds, correspondence and rent books, 1800-1899; family register listing the deaths of Robert Williams, Bryn Gola, Llanddona, Robart Jones, Cyndal, Llanddona, etc
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanddona has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
- Llanddona Community Council;- 1895-1983: records
- Llanddona land tax;- 1752-1869: assessments
- Llanddona Parish;- 1762-1992: records
- Llanddona Parish Council;- 1895-1973: financial records, minutes
- Llanddona tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
- Llandonna window tax;- 1755-65: assessments
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH575796 (Lat/Lon: 53.294133, -4.139515), Llanddona which are provided by: