|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANDDONA, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 3 miles N.W. of Beaumaris, its post town. 7 from Bangor, and 7 N.E. of Llangefni. It is situated on the eastern side of Red-Wharfs, Bay. The ground near the shore is of a rocky nature, but the soil is mostly well adapted for agriculture. Many of the people are engaged in the herring fishery. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £87. The church, dedicated to St. Dona, is rather ancient, and occupies the same spot as one built in the early part of the 12th century. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The charities produce about £2 per annum. Here are traces of a camp and some defences believed to be Danish. From the hill called "Arthur's Round Table" there is an extensive prospect." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanddona Parish; Statistics; Area 2387 acres; Population 326 males, 311 females, total 637
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
Llandonna village & school site - photographs, history etc (scroll down for English text)
Bwrdd Arthur (Din Sylwy) Hill Fort, Llanddona (Prehistoric) - on the People's Collection Wales site
Llanddona - on wikipedia
LLANDDONA (LLAN-DDONA), a parish in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N. W.) from Beaumaris, containing 442 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Dona, who flourished about the commencement of the eighth century, and is situated in the eastern part of the Isle of Anglesey, upon a peninsular projection which separates the bay of Beaumaris from the Irish sea. It comprises but a moderate portion of enclosed arable and pasture land, which is in a good state of cultivation, and an extensive common, which, from the rocky nature of the soil, affords but indifferent pasturage for cattle. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any peculiarity of features, is pleasing ; and the numerous farm-houses scattered over the parish give it an air of cheerfulness not generally found in this part of the principality. A considerable herring-fishery is carried on during the season at Red Wharf bay. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £ 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Lord Boston. The church is a very ancient structure, supposed to have been erected about the year 610, and is situated very near the coast of Red Wharf bay. Several small charitable donations and bequests have been left by different benefactors to the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 172. 17. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833 )
Megalithic Portal - Llanddona Standing Stone/Menhir
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date