GENUKI Home pageNeighboursNearby places

Anglesey Anglesey    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

LLANDDYFNAN

"LLANDDYFNAN, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 2 miles W. of Pentraeth, its post town, 3 N.E. of Llangefni, and 7 from Beaumaris. It is situated to the S.W. of Red-Wharfe Bay, and includes the township of Pentraeth. Limestone abounds, and is quarried chiefly for agricultural purposes. The land is mostly under cultivation. The village, which is considerable, contains several good houses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacy of Llanvair-Mathavar-neithdv, 280, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Dyvnan, was rebuilt in 1847. It contains over the S. doorway a sculpture of the Crucifixion. There is also a district church at Pentraeth. There are traces of a Roman road, and a large maenhir stands near the church. Llanddyfnan Place is the principal residence." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography

An act for inclosing lands in Llangefni, Llanddyfnan, Pentraeth, and Cerrigceinwen, in the County of Anglesey : (Royal Assent, 9 June 1812.). [London : Printed by Luke Hansard & Sons], 1812. 27p

Benwell, R M. Housing in the parish of Llanddyfnan, 1743-1841. Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society (1994), p. 55-79

The Farmer's Tale: the life story of John Richard Rowlands (of Talwrn)   Gwynedd CC 1992

Thomas, Gwyn. John Griffith, Llanddyfnan, bardd o'r ail ganrif ar bymtheg. Trafodion Anrhydeddus Gymdeithas y Cymmrodorion. Cyfres Newydd. Cyf. 6 (2000), t. 14-37

Business and Commerce Records

Rhyd Stores, Talwrn, Papers  1826-1975 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Rhyd Stores (Siop y Rhyd), Talwrn, was a general store, selling clothing, toys, fertilisers, etc. It was leased by Evan R. Thomas, of Bodeilio, and then by William Jones. Evan's grandson, Hugh Owen (1881-1978) had two daughters, Elsie (b. 1905) and Gwyneth (b. 1907). The collection also includes some papers relating to Fferam Gorniog, Pentraeth"

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanddyfnan Parish; Statistics; Area 3506 acres; Population 344 males, 385 females, total 729

############################

 

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Talwrn chapel (in Welsh) - with translation

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.

Description and Travel

Llanddyfnan - on wicipedia (Welsh)

Gazetteers

LLANDDYVNAN (LLAN-DDYVNAN), a parish in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Beaumaris, containing 678 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the turnpike road from Beaumaris to Llanerchymedd and Amlwch, is, with the exception of a small part, enclosed and well cultivated : it formerly contained an extensive common, which was enclosed some years ago, and several houses erected upon it. The scenery is pleasingly diversified and enriched with wood, and in the neighbourhood are obtained some good prospects. The adjacent seat of Plas Llanddyvnan is a spacious and handsome mansion, beautifully situated, and environed with extensive woods, in which is some of the largest and most valuable timber in the island. The parish abounds with limestone of very excellent quality, of which large quantities are shipped to the government harbours, quays, and other public works in Ireland, and also to Liverpool, for various purposes. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacies of Llanbedr-Goch, Llanvair-Mathavarneithav, and Pentraeth annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at 38. 6. 8., and held in commendam since the year 1701, by the Bishop of Bangor, who appoints a stipendiary curate. The church, dedicated to St. Dyvnan, who came from Rome about the year 180, to assist in converting the Britons to Christianity, was originally founded in the year 590 ; and the present structure, which is spacious and well built, appears to have been originally of much greater extent : in digging in the churchyard, foundations of ancient buildings have at various times been discovered, at a considerable distance from the site of the present edifice. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The interest of several small charitable donations and bequests is annually distributed among the poor, at Christmas, pursuant to the directions of the several benefactors. Not far from the church are some remains of a well-constructed Roman road, fourteen feet wide, running in a west-north-western direction towards Holyhead : it is supposed to have been a continuation of the road leading from the shore in the parish of Penmon, and may be traced at intervals entirely across this parish, and again near Plas Tregaian, in that adjoining. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is 306.3. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

History

The Modern Antiquarian site - Llanddyfnan Standing Stone/Menhir

Land and Property

Plas Llanddyfnan - on the Anglesey Info site
This house and estate is situated in the village of Talwrn, built during the 16th century

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 27 Oct 2013  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.