Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANDEGFAN, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 2 miles S.W. of Beaumaris, its post town, and 4 from Bangor. It is situated on the Menai Straits, and is included within the borough of Beaumaris. Near the village is the ferry station for the Straits. The tower of the old church, which stands on a hill to the left, serves as a conspicuous landmark. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacy of Beaumaris annexed, £366. The church, formerly the mother church of Beaumaris, is a modern edifice built about 1811, and is dedicated to St. Tegvan. The parochial charities, including £8 to Lady Bulkeley's school, produce nearly £60 per annum. The Calvinistic Methodists have a chapel." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Lewis, Richard. Richard Lewis, 1817-65, Llandegfan a Bodedern : detholiad o'i waith. [Bodedern] : [Dafydd Wyn Wiliam], 1999. 29p
Nottingham, Lucie. Llandegfan, 1727-1972 : the education of a parish. Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society (1986), p. 87-115
Parry, Hugh. Hanes Capel Barachaia, Llandegfan, 1817-1917. Llandegfan : [Capel Barachia?], 2000. 78p
Roberts, W Emrys. The graves of the 'Clio' boys at Llandegfan. Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society (1985), p. 83-103
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llandegfan Parish; Statistics; Area 2760 acres; Population 474 males, 453 females, total 927
- Llandegfan Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor) Attendance - morning 77 Services in Welsh Robert Roberts, Churchwarden
- Sion, Baptist Erected 1837 Attendance - morning 105, afternoon school, evening 294 (30/50 of these are students) John Edwards, Baptist Minister, Llandegfan
- Bavachia, Calfinistig Methodist Erected 1820 House attached Attendance - (average) general congregation 287, scholars 169 John Hughes, Lewis Williams, Elders
- Llandegfan Church - on geograph.org.uk and "Extensively restored, partly 14th century.............. the chapel, transepts, and tower are all later additions.." coflein
- Barachia (CM) Chapel - on geograph.org.uk and "Barachia Schoolroom built c.1816 ... Chapel in 1820... rebuilt in 1860 and 1900... chapel house added in 1902" coflein
You can see pictures of Llandegfan which are provided by:
LLANDEGVAN (LLAN-DEGVAN), a parish in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Beaumaris, containing, exclusively of the borough of Beaumaris, which is within its limits, 738 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Tegvan, comprises an extensive tract on the western shore of the Menai. During the civil war in the reign of Charles I., a detachment of the parliamentarian forces, under the command of General Mytton, disembarked at Garth Ferry, in this parish, in 1648, and hence proceeded to the reduction of Beaumaris. This is now the principal ferry across the Menai strait, by which the distance from Beaumaris to Bangor is reduced to three miles. The new line of road from the Menai bridge to Beaumaris is continued for nearly three miles through the parish, in a direction parallel with the strait, and throughout the whole of its course presents a succession of finely varied and highly picturesque scenery. The village, which is about two miles inland, is beautifully situated in a pleasant and fertile district ; though from its proximity to Beaumaris, and its situation on the shore of the Menai, it possesses every facility of commercial intercourse, yet this place carries on neither trade nor manufacture of any kind. The living is a discharged rectory, with Beaumaris annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 19. 11. 8., and in the patronage of Sir R. B. Williams Bulkeley, Bart. The church is of very ancient date, having been originally founded by St. Tegvan, its tutelar saint, prior to the year 450, in which he died. The present church, erected by the munificence of Viscount Bulkeley, in 1811, is a spacious and handsome cruciform structure, in the later style of English architecture, with a lofty square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles : the interior, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north and south transepts, is appropriately fitted up ; and the chancel is ornamented with a handsome east window of good design. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The Rev. John Jones, Dean of Bangor, in 1719, bequeathed to the rector the sum of £ 50, in trust, to appropriate the interest to the payment of a schoolmaster to teach ten poor children to read and write. A National school having since been established at Bangor, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, those of this parish on the foundation of Dean Jones are now instructed in it. Lady Bulkeley, in 1823, bequeathed £ 1000 also to the rector, in trust, to appropriate the interest to the relief of the most necessitous of the poor : the whole of this sum has been vested in government securities, and the income arising from them is annually distributed according to the will of the testatrix : there are also some smaller charitable donations and bequests for the relief of the poor. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 254. 1. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Rathbone Llandegfan Sketches - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Large folio volume entitled Sketches and Notes of the Parish of Llandegfan and its Worthies, compiled by Mary F. Rathbone and possibly other members of her family, 1894-1954......."
Panton of Plas Gwyn manuscripts 1642-1914 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Includes "plans, mostly drafts, of lands in Pentraeth, Penmynydd, Llandegfan and elsewhere in Anglesey,[c. 1778]-1815..."
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
- Llandegfan Community Council;- 1894-1984: minute book, papers
- Llandegfan land tax;- 1721-1869: assessments
- Llandegfan Parish;- 1547-1976: records; 1649-1927: additional records
- Llandegfan tithes;- 1924: Tithe Rent Charge account books
- Llandegfan window tax;- 1756-86: assessments
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH569738 (Lat/Lon: 53.241872, -4.145900), Llandegfan which are provided by:
"In the C19th there were 3 working mills in Llandegfan.............................." (Cynnal co uk site)