GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Anglesey Anglesey   Contents Contents

Llaneilian

"LLANEILIAN, a parish in the hundred of Twrcelyn, county Anglesey, 2 miles E. of Amlwch, its post town, and 6 N.E. Llanerchymedd. It is situated on the north-eastern .part of the coast, the village being about three-quarters of a mile from Lynas Point, where there is a lighthouse and telegraph station, which, previous to the introduction of electric wires, communicated by semaphore with Holyhead and Puffin Island. The parish includes the township of Rhosbeirio. Much of the copper ore extracted from the Parys Mountain is exported from this place. The village is considerable, and many of the inhabitants are engaged in the mines." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography

Guide to Llaneilian Church. [Llangefni] : Llaneilian Church, [1969].  8p

Hughes, John O. A guide to St Eilian's Church, Llaneilian, Isle of Anglesey. Llaneilian : St. Eilian's Church, 1999. 8p

Business and Commerce Records

North Anglesey Slate and Slab Quarry and Llanflewyn Slate and Slab Quarry Records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales   "North Anglesey Slate and Slab Co. Ltd was formed in 1870, mining slate from Point Elianus, Llaneilian ......"

Cemeteries

Neil Summers' Amlwch data site has a memorial index for St Elian

Census

The 1851 Census of Llaneilian in "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form - provided by Joyce Hinde.

Joyce and Douglas Hinde have provided a transcript of the 1801 Census of Amlwch, including parts of the parishes of Llaneilian, Llanerchymedd, Llanwenllwyfo and Rhosbol.

Neil Summers' Amlwch data site has an index of the 1891 census for Llanelian

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llaneilian Parish; Statistics; Area 2398 acres; Population 622 males, 673 females, total 1295

######################

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.

Description and Travel

Llaneilian - on wicipedia (Welsh)

Gazetteers

Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

Held at University of Wales, Bangor (NRA)

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)

Merchant Marine

Point Lynas Lighthouse, Llaneilian, logbooks 1865-1969  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Point Lynas lighthouse, Llaneilian, Anglesey, was built by Mersey Docks and Harbour Board in 1835 (a previous installation had been provided by Liverpool Pilotage Service). The lighthouse has operated ever since. In 1973, responsibility for running the lighthouse passed to Trinity House, and it is now fully automated."

Occupations

Rhos Mynach Mine - on mindat site

Public Records

Llaneilian Vestry Books 1768 - 1894  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [ Last updated: 27 Oct 2013  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.