Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANEUGRAD, (or Llaneigrad), a parish in the hundred of Twrcelyn, county Anglesey, 5 miles E. of Llanerchymedd, 5 N. of Llangefni, and 9 from Gwindy, its post town. It is situated on the north-western coast of Red Wharfe Bay, and includes the chapelry of Llanallgo and the township of Bryngola. In 803 a battle was fought here between the Britons and the Danes, in which the latter were defeated. Marble and limestone abound. Near the village is an ancient manor-house and park with a curious Elizabethan pigeon house. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacy of Llanallgo annexed, £135, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Eugrad. The parochial charities amount to about £7 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Maps and surveys of Bodrwyn and Park Estates in the county of Anglesey. the property of William Lewis Hughes Esqr. 57,; Llaneugrad Commons enclosure. 1821
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llaneugrad Parish; Statistics; Area 2695 acres; Population 160 males, 170 females, total 330
- Llaneugrad Parish Church Attendance - usual number afternoon 9 2 [?]services in Welsh Informant; John Roberts
A duplicate return simply states ; "The Church is in a dilapidated State - John Griffiths, Rector"
- Babell, Llaneigrad, Sunday School, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 8 years Attendance - afternoon 53 scholars Robert Michael, Richard Williams
- St Eugrad's church - on the geograph.org.uk site and "St Eugrad's church Llaneugrad, is a medieval parish church, restored and otherwise altered.........." coflein
- "Y Babell Methodist Chapel is a tiny structure built in a very simple Vernacular style that looks early nineteenth century, although apparently Sunday School services were only held in it from 1938, when it was a branch of Ty Mawr Chapel, Capel Coch ......." coflein
You can see pictures of Llaneugrad which are provided by:
LLANEUGRAD (LLAN-EIGRAD), a parish in the hundred of TWRCELYN, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (E.) from Llanerchymedd, containing 323 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the coast of the Irish sea, by which it is bounded on the east, was anciently much more extensive than at present ; and not far from the church, upon the site of a farm called Park, are distinct traces of a town or large village, of which the foundations of the buildings alone remain. In the year 873, a memorable battle was fought at Bryngola, within its limits, in which the Danes, who at that time made frequent descents on the coast of Anglesey, were defeated with great slaughter by Roderic the Great, who, after a sanguinary contest, obtained a signal victory over the invaders, and drove them to their ships. The soil of this parish is fertile, and the lands are enclosed and cultivated. The sub-stratum is limestone, of which there are immense rocks in the parish ; and extensive quarries of black and grey marble afford employment to a considerable number of the labouring poor : the situation of the place upon the coast affords a facility of exporting the produce of these quarries, and great quantities are shipped to various parts of Great Britain. The living is a discharged rectory with the perpetual curacy of Llanallgo annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £9. 11. 10 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Eugrad, is supposed to have been originally founded, about the year 605, by Eugrad, son of Caw-o-Frydain, and brother of St. Alltgo, who, about the same time, founded the church of Llanallgo : it is a small but somewhat stately edifice, of lofty proportions and venerable appearance: adjoining it is a small antique chapel. On the farm of Llugwy, in this parish, formerly stood a chapel of ease to the neighbouring church of Llanallgo, the small existing remains of which are called Capel Llugwy. The poor are entitled to one-third of the rent of a farm in the parish of Llanvair - Mathavarneithav, now let for £ 75 per annum, which is annually distributed among them at Christmas. There are also some small benefactions in land, the produce of which is similarly appropriated. Adjoining the ancient town above noticed are the remains of an extensive and well-fortified camp, in which Roderic is supposed to have stationed his forces in his conflict with the Danes ; and on the highest eastern point are some remains, consisting principally of a gateway and some portions of ruined walls, of an ancient building, in which that sovereign is thought to have held his court while engaged in repelling the Danes from this part of his dominions. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £97. 2. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llaneugrad has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parciau Papers 1756-1936 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"A collection of papers relating to the administration of the Parciau estate...."
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
- Llaneugrad land tax;- 1744-1814: assessments
- Llaneugrad Parish;- 1725-1993: records
- Llaneugrad Parish Council;- 1895-1973: minutes, financial records
- Llaneugrad tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
- Llaneugrad window tax;- 1760: assessments
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH491829 (Lat/Lon: 53.321446, -4.267013), Llaneugrad which are provided by: