Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANFACHRETH, a parish in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 5 miles E. of Holyhead, its post town and nearest railway station, and 9 from Llanerchymedd. It is situated on the small river Alaw, south of Holyhead Bay. This is an agricultural district. The village is a small rustic place. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Llanenghenedl and Llanfigael, £557, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mackraeth. There are charities of about £2 yearly value." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfachreth Parish; Statistics; Area 1887 acres; Population 284 males, 282 females, total 566
- There is no Return for the Parish Church. A footnote says it has 2 services in Welsh, and accomodation of 400
- Bethesda Independent Erected 1835 Attendance - morning 40, afternoon 60 scholars, evening 120 Robert Williams, Independent Minister
- Eglwys Machraith Sant - on geograph.org.uk
- Capel Pont yr Arw Baptist chapel, Pontyrarw - on geograph.org.uk and graveyard and ".........the congregation........ was formed in 1787. ... original date of the chapel unknown ... rebuilt or substantially modified in 1810 and again in 1837..... enlarged in 1860 coflein
- Ty Capel Abarim (CM) - on geograph.org.uk and " ......was built in 1862 ...." coflein
- Capel Bethesda (Ind), Minffordd - on geograph.org.uk and "......... was built in 1835......" coflein
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llanfachreth chapel (in Welsh) - with translation
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanfachraeth which are provided by:
LLANVACHRETH (LLAN-VACHRETH), a parish in the hundred of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY NORTH WALES, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Bodedern containing 424 inhabitants. This parish is situated in a fertile district, near the eastern shore of Holyhead bay, and is bounded on the south by the little river Alaw : it contains a considerable portion of enclosed and well-cultivated land, and formerly derived advantages from its proximity to the old Holyhead road which, since the construction of the new line of road have been materially lessened. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacies of Llanenghenedl and Llanvigael annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 14. 2. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Machraeth, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, of which it exhibits some good details, and is ornamented with an east window of elegant design There are places of worship for Independents, and for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Numerous charitable bequests have been made to the poor of this parish, but many, and the most important of them have long been lost. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 110. 10. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 by Samuel Lewis)
Vincent Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Reverend James Vincent (1718-83) was rector of Llanfachreth, Anglesey, and Llandwrog, Caernarfonshire..."
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
- Llanfachreth land tax;- 1744-1814: assessments
- Llanfachreth Parish;- 1682-1993: records
- Llanfachreth Parish Council;- 1894-1974: minutes
- Llanfachreth tithes;- 1931-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
- Llanfachreth window tax;- 1760: assessments
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH315825 (Lat/Lon: 53.312544, -4.530771), Llanfachraeth which are provided by: