|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANFACHRETH, a parish in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 5 miles E. of Holyhead, its post town and nearest railway station, and 9 from Llanerchymedd. It is situated on the small river Alaw, south of Holyhead Bay. This is an agricultural district. The village is a small rustic place. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Llanenghenedl and Llanfigael, £557, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mackraeth. There are charities of about £2 yearly value." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfachreth Parish; Statistics; Area 1887 acres; Population 284 males, 282 females, total 566
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llanfachreth chapel (in Welsh) - with translation
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office
Held at University of Wales, Bangor (NRA)
LLANVACHRETH (LLAN-VACHRETH), a parish in the hundred of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY NORTH WALES, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Bodedern containing 424 inhabitants. This parish is situated in a fertile district, near the eastern shore of Holyhead bay, and is bounded on the south by the little river Alaw : it contains a considerable portion of enclosed and well-cultivated land, and formerly derived advantages from its proximity to the old Holyhead road which, since the construction of the new line of road have been materially lessened. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacies of Llanenghenedl and Llanvigael annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 14. 2. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Machraeth, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, of which it exhibits some good details, and is ornamented with an east window of elegant design There are places of worship for Independents, and for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Numerous charitable bequests have been made to the poor of this parish, but many, and the most important of them have long been lost. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 110. 10. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 by Samuel Lewis)
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996