"LLANFAELOG, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, county Anglesey, 3 miles N. W. of Aberffraw, and 6 from Gwindy, its post town. The Ty Croyes station on the Chester and Holyhead railway is within a short distance of the village. It is situated N. of Carnarvon Bay, and includes the hamlet of Pengornisiog, Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the fishery. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llanbeulan, in the diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Maelog, is a modern structure, said to have been erected on the same spot as one built about the 7th century. The Calvinistic Methodists have a place of worship. There are charities of about £2 per annum. There are two cromlechs in this parish." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanfaelog Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 2732 acres; Population 399 males, 401 females, total 800

  • Llanfaelog Parochial Chapelry         Erected 1848          Attendance - usual morning 60             Informant; Owen Williams
  • Paran, Calvinistic            Erected 1828      Attendance - morning 79 scholars, afternoon 93, evening 80       Thomas Owen, Manager, Rhosneigr
  • Bryn Du, Calvinistic Methodist           Erected 1795 (old), 1814 (present)            Attendance - morning 205, afternoon 155 scholars, evening 239        Owen Williams, Elder, Neuadd
  • Rehoboth, Independent            Erected 1827           Attendance - morning 34 scholars, afternoon 75, evening 51                 W Morris, Minister, Brynwran
  • Pencornisiog, Wesleyan Methodist        Erected 1823     Attendance - (average) morning 41 scholars, afternoon 60 + 12 scholars, evening 65 + 17 scholars      William Lloyd, Steward
  • "Penuel Baptist Chapel [Rhosneigr] was built 1898....."    coflein
  • Bryn Du Welsh CM       "....first built in 1795 and demolished in 1859. Meanwhile a second and more elaborate chapel had been built just 20 feet away in 1814, and a third chapel built, on the site of the first, in 1859. The fourth and present chapel was built in 1901.............."         coflein
  • "Paran (CM) Methodist Chapel [Rhosneigr] was first built in 1828, rebuilt in 1850, modified in 1857 and again in 1867. The present chapel, dated 1850.........."          coflein
  • "The Methodist cause at Rhosneigr began in 1904 and the chapel built in the same year,......."        coflein
  • Capel Rehoboth (Ind), Llanfaelog -  on geograph.org.uk     and    "....... built in 1827 and substantial repairs and alterations made in 1927........"      coflein
  • Rhosneigr Ind chapel/Bethania    ".........was built in 1918......."      coflein
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Maelog section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Nov 2014)

Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Church, Llanfaelog 

Description and Travel

Ty Newydd Neolithic Burial Chamber. Llanfaelog - on the stone-circles site

Various landscapes  - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Llanfaelog which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfaelog to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfaelog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llanfaelog land tax;- 1744-1814: assessments
  • Llanfaelog Parish;- 1754-1971: records
  • Llanfaelog Parish Council;- 1921: valuation list
  • Llanfaelog tithes;- 1925-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Llanfaelog window tax;- 1751-60: assessments