We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANFAIRYNGHORNWY, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 7 miles N.W. of Llanerchymedd, and 8 N.E. of Holyhead. It is situated to the E. of Bulkley's Bay, and contains quarries of soapstone, verd antique, &c. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Llanddeusant, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is partly in the Norman style of architecture, and has monuments of the Williams and other families. In the neighbourhood are traces of a Danish camp and other remains." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfairynghornwy Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 2135 acres; Population 155 males, 168 females, total 323
- No return for the chapelry [accommodation 60 ERCR]
- Salem Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1840 Attendance - morning 200 + 50 scholars (No signature)
- Tyn y Maen, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1807 Attendance - morning 28, afternoon 15 scholars, evening 72 Rowland Whittington, Wesleyan Minister
- Eglwys y Santes Fair - on geograph.org.uk and "Some earlier C11 and C12 origins ..visible ..chancel rebuilt in C15; S chapel/arcade added C16; W tower C17 ....C19 restoration...." coflein
- Capel Salem (CM) - on geograph.org.uk and "Salem Methodist Chapel was first built in 1840 and rebuilt in 1901 ....." coflein
- Anglesey Wesleyan Circuit Records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales - Include Capel Nebo, Llanfairynghornwy, 1810-1973
Capel Nebo, former - on geograph.org.uk and "Nebo Chapel was first built in 1807 and rebuilt in the Vernacular style in 1893......." coflein
You can see pictures of Llanfairynghornwy which are provided by:
LLANVAIR YNGHORNWY (LLAN-VAIR-YN-NGHORNWY), a parish in the hundred of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (N. W.) from Llanerchymedd, containing 310 inhabitants. This parish, which is of great extent, is situated at the north-western extremity of the Isle of Anglesey, near Camlyn bay, and almost directly opposite to the Isle of Skerries. Its surface is boldly varied, and in some parts rises into abrupt and rugged eminences : the scenery is strikingly diversified, and the views, extending on the west over St. George's channel, and on the north to the Irish sea, comprehend many interesting objects, and are finely contrasted with those over the adjacent country on the east, which embrace a rich variety of rural and picturesque features. Near Camlyn bay is a fine quarry of serpentine marble, of the species called Verd antique, which is intersected with veins of asbestos, of a beautiful silky texture : this, marble is more highly esteemed than the finest specimens from Italy, and many of the slabs obtained here have produced very large sums : the asbestos found here is superior in softness and brilliancy to any yet discovered in Europe. Among the mineral productions of this parish are likewise steatite, or soap-rock, and amianthus. There is safe anchorage for small vessels on the coast, in Camlyn, or Crooked Pool bay, which might at little expense be rendered a safe port, and even a serviceable dock might easily be constructed in it. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llandeusant, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a spacious ancient structure, partly in the Norman style, with a lofty square tower of rude architecture at the west end : it consists of a nave and double chancel, the latter divided by a series of massive circular pillars and arches : the south chancel belongs exclusively to the proprietor of the Monachty estate, in this parish ; and the north, which is the property of the owner of Caeria, is the sepulchral chapel of the family of Williams, of Friars, and contains many elegant monuments to members of that family, and of the family of the Bulkeleys : upon one of the pillars which separate the chancels is a very ancient inscription in rude Saxon characters. There are places of worship for Baptists and for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Monachty, the estate above mentioned, supposed by some writers anciently to have been the site of a religious house, was granted by Llewelyn ab Grufydd as part of the endowment of the abbey which he founded at Aberconway, from which circumstance it derived its present appellation, and the exemption from tithes which it still enjoys. Near the church are three upright stones of large dimensions, placed in the form of a triangle, at a distance of six hundred yards from each other, and called Meini Hirion, or "the Stones of Heroes"; and near the same place are the remains of an extensive circular camp, called Castell Crwn, surrounded by a vallum and fosse. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 107. 11. ( A Topgraphical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanfairynghornwy has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
- Llanfairynghornwy window tax;- 1760: assessments
- Llanfairynghornwy land tax;- 1753-1814: assessments
- Llanfairynghornwy Parish;- 1732-1987: records
- Llanfairynghornwy tithes;- 1930-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH327908 (Lat/Lon: 53.387460, -4.517167), Llanfairynghornwy which are provided by: