|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANFFINAN, a parish in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 2 miles E. of Llangefni, 2 from the Llanfair station on the Crew and Chester section of the North-Western railway, and 7 from Bangor, its post town. Limestone is obtained here. The living is a curacy annexed to the perpetual curacy of Llanfihangel-Esceifiog. The church is a modern edifice, dedicated to St. Finnan. Close by the village is Pius Penmynydd, a very ancient mansion, built in 1370, and the birth-place of Owen Tudor, who married Queen Catherine, widow of Henry V." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanffinan Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1267 acres; Population 73 males, 72 females, total 145
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
LLANFINNAN (LLAN-FINAN), a parish In the hundred of MENAI, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (w.) from Beaumaris, containing 163 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Finnan, by whom it was originally founded in the early part of the seventh century, is pleasantly situated on the old line of road from London to Holyhead. It comprises a considerable portion of elevated ground, the substratum of which is limestone ; and the lower lands, which are fertile and productive, are enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, though not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature ; and the views from the higher grounds extend over a large tract of country, abounding with interesting objects. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Llanvihangel-Ysceiviog; in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, and in the patronage of the Dean of Bangor. The church is a small plain edifice, and contains several monuments to the memory of deceased members of the family of Lloyd. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Six poor children of this parish are taught gratuitously in the parochial school of Llanvihangel-Ysceiviog, under an endowment of the Rev. Dr. John Jones, Dean of Bangor, who was for some years curate of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £71. 9. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833 )
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date