|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANFIHANGEL-TRE'R-BEIRDD, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Twrcelyn, county Anglesey, 2 miles E. of Llanerchymedd, its post town, 5 N. of Llangefni, and 11 from Beaumaris. This place was formerly a favourite retreat of the Welsh bards, and hence it received its distinctive appellation. The village, which is small, lies about 5 miles distant from Moelfre Bay. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llandyfrydog, in the diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a very small structure with a single aisle. The charities amount to about £2 per annum. On Bodafon Hill is "the shapely cromlech" mentioned by Rowlands, the table stone of which measures 10 feet in length by 8 in breadth; it is commonly named among the natives "y-maen-Llwydd." At some distance, near a place called Barras, is another small cromlech, now in ruins." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfihangel Tre'r-Beirdd Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1570 acres; Population 186 males, 174 females, total 360
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Mynaeddfwyn chapel (in Welsh) - with translation
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
LLANVIHANGEL TRE 'R BEIRDD (LLAN-VIHANGEL TRE-Y-BEIRDD), a parish in the hundred of TWRCELYN, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Llanerchymedd, containing 360 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Michael, and its distinguishing adjunct from its having anciently been one of the seats of the British bards or Druids, is pleasantly situated in a fertile district nearly in the centre of the island. The surface is varied with some bold eminences ; the lands are for the most part enclosed and in cultivation ; and the soil, especially in the lower grounds, is fertile and productive. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llandyvrydog, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church is a small plain edifice, and contains some good monuments to the family of Lewis. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The poor children of this parish are admissible for gratuitous instruction into the school of Llandyvrydog ; and the produce of several small charitable donations and bequests is annually distributed among the poor at Christmas. Sir William Jones was a native of this parish ; and Lewis Morris, an eminent antiquary and poet, resided here for some time. Of the occupation of this place by the ancient Druids several vestiges are still visible, among which may be noticed the remains of a Druidical altar upon one of the hills in the parish, and a large pillar, or upright stone, near the church, called Maen Addwyn, or "the blessed stone," supposed to be one of those Meini Gwyr pillars noticed by Mr. Rowlands. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 155. 13. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Lewis Morris - on wikipdia
Seryddiaeth a Seryddwyr (Astronomy and Astronomers) by the Rev. J. Silas Evans
"WILLIAM JONES, F.R.S., (1675-1749). He was born in Llanfihangel-tre'r-Beirdd, Anglesey; a famous mathematician and friend of Sir Isaac Newton, Halley and Dr. Johnson. His son was the famous scholar Sir William Jones "
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996