"LLANGADWALADR, (or Eglwysael), a parish in the hundred of Malltraeth, county Anglesey, 2 miles E. of Aberf-Fraw, its post town, 4 N.W. of Newborough, and 1 mile from the Bodorgan railway station. It is situated within a short distance of the S. coast. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The principal residences are Bodowen, an ancient seat of the Owens, and Bodorgan, the seat of F. O. Meyrick, Esq., which at one period was celebrated for possessing the finest gardens in Wales. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £245, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Cadwaladr, stands on the site of one built in the 7th century, and was formerly a sanctuary. Over the S. doorway is a very ancient inscribed stone, which has been thus deciphered: "Catamanus Rex sapientissimus opinatissimus omnium regum;" and in the church is a punning monument to Owen Wood. Adjoining the church are the Owen and Meyrick chapels, with an E. window of stained glass. A full account of this window, which has been restored by Wilmeshurst, is given by Browne Willis, in his History of Bangor Cathedral. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a village school." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]



  • Jones, Morfudd. Hanes Eglwys Sant Cadwaladr, Llangadwaladr = The history of St. Cadwaladr's Church, Llangadwaladr. Llangadwaladr] : Eglwys Sant Cadwaladr, [1986]


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llangadwaladr area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llangadwaladr or Eglwysael Parish; Statistics; Area 4718 acres; Population 274 males, 305 females, total 579  (says 994 in the book!)

  • Llangadwaladr Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor)    Attendance - morning 39        1 service in Welsh       "There are two chapels annexed to this church and opening into it, they are private property ......"   J H Williams, Rector
  • Hermon Chapel, Independents          Erected 1814             Attendance - morning 124, afternoon 128 scholars, evening 195                   William Pierce, Deacon
  • Early British Kingdoms site - Llangadwaladr Church.   " ........established sometime around AD 615. It was a Royal monastery patronised by the Kings of Gwynedd from nearby Aberffraw........"
  • LLANGADWALADR, St. Cadwaladr   on geograph.org.uk
  • Llanfeirian chapel of ease - site of former   -   on geograph.org.uk
  • "Hermon Independent Chapel (Bodorgan) was built in 1814, remodelled in 1843 and rebuilt in1871.............."         coflein

Held at  Gwynedd Archives  - Llangadwaladr Rectory - 1887, 2 SUMMONSES to pay tithe rent, addressed to Mrs. Thomas and receipted, Rev. David Thomas. Trefdraeth Rectory - 2 SUMMONSES to pay tithe rent, addressed to Mrs. Thomas and receipted, Venerable Archdeacon John Pryce, 16 March 138, 15 March 1889, 23 August 1889. (Agent for both, Thomas Prichard).

  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Hermon section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (July 2013)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llangadwaladr which are provided by:



LLANGADWALADR (LLAN - GADWALADR), or EGLWYSAEL, a parish in the hundred of MALLTRAETH, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (S. W.) from Llangevni, containing 573 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cadwaladr, is situated on the Maldraeth Sands, in Carnarvon bay, and on the turn-pike road leading from Llangevni to Aberfraw. It is of considerable extent, and is bounded on the south-east by those sands, on the south-west by the bay of Carnarvon, on the north-west by Aberfraw, and on the north-east by Trevdraeth. The surrounding scenery is finely varied, and the distant views embrace some pleasing prospects over the adjacent country, and an extended view of the open bay. The surface is boldly undulated ; and the soil, though varying in different parts of the parish, is for the most part fertile. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Talyllyn annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £16. 7. 11., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Cadwaladr, was founded or built by Cadwaladr, the last of the Welsh kings of Britain, in 650: it is an elegant structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a north and south transept, called respectively the Bodorgan and Bodowen chapels, of more recent erection than the rest of the edifice, and in the purest character of the later style of English architecture. The Bodorgan chapel, forming the north transept, was originally built by Richard Meyrick, Esq., in 1640, and rebuilt in 1801, in a style of inferior beauty, which forms a striking contrast to that of Bodowen, constituting the south transept, which was erected by Anne, widow of William Owen of Bodowen, in 1661. This last, in the beauty of its style and the richness of its details, is one of the most elegant specimens of ecclesiastical architecture in North Wales : the windows, though partly divested of the richly stained glass with which they were originally embellished, are still strikingly beautiful. The window of the chancel is of elegant design, and was formerly enriched with brilliant stained glass, inserted at the expense of Meyric ab Llewelyn ab Hwlkyn, in 1535, as appears by an inscription below the figures ; though greatly mutilated, there is still enough of the original glass remaining to bear testimony to its pristine beauty. On the lintel of the south door of the church is a rude inscription, which has been decyphered thus :- CATAM-ANVS REX SAPIENTISSIMVS OPINATISSIMVS OMNIVM REGVM. Catamanus was grandfather of Cadwaladr; and is said to have been buried in Bardsey Island; but the learned author of the "Mona Antigua Restaurata," is of opinion that his remains were finally deposited here by Cadwaladr, who, perhaps, erected the church over his grave, and on that account invested it with the privilege of sanctuary. About three-quarters of a mile to the south of the church are the ruins of the ancient chapel of Llanveirian, which appears to have been originally a parish church, and afterwards a chapel, having been finally suffered to fall into decay, about the year 1775. The present rector has caused the cemetery to be enclosed with a stone wall, and some yew trees to be planted within the area, marking the site of the ancient edifice. There is a place of worship for Independents. A National school has been established in the adjoining parish of Trevdraeth, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, into which those of this parish also are admissible. A suitable building, capable of receiving one hundred and fifty children, was erected for its use in 1828 ; and there are at present seventy-five children in the school, which is supported by the gentry and clergy of the two parishes. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 177. 17. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llangadwaladr to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



Letters of Reverend John Hughes Williams, Llangadwaladr - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Reverend John Hughes Williams was rector of Llangadwaladr, Anglesey, from 1824 to 1868...."


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llangadwaladr has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Bodorgan Airfield Photograph -  details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Bodorgan Airfield was actively used during World War Two, 1939-1945...."


Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llangadwaladr Community Council;- 1843-1994: minutes
  • Llangadwaladr land tax;- 1745-1814: assessments
  • Llangadwaladar Parish;- 1610-2001: records
  • Llangadwaladar tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books


Held at University of Wales, Bangor (NRA);

  • Llangadwaladar National School;- 1708-1711: log books