Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangaffo Parish; Statistics; Area 1590 acres; Population 75 males, 63 females, total 138
Llangaffo, Church of an Ancient Chapelry Consecrated 1847, in lieu of a previously existing one Attendance - morning 22, afternoon 24 "See return for the parish of Llangeinwen W Williams, Rector
LLANGAFO (LLAN - GAFFO), a parish in the hundred of MENAI, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Carnarvon, containing 137 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Caffo, who flourished in this part of Wales about the middle of the sixth century. It comprehends an extensive tract of land, of which a large portion is marshy, some part hilly, and the remainder enclosed and in a fair state of cultivation. In 1790, an act of parliament was obtained for more effectually embanking the marshes called Maldraeth and Corsddeugae, under the provisions of which two hundred and thirty acres were allotted to the several proprietors of land in this parish. The soil is in general fertile, and the lower grounds afford excellent pasturage for cattle. The surrounding scenery, though pleasingly varied, is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, but the higher grounds afford some fine views over the adjacent country. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llangeinwen, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church is a small ancient edifice, situated on an eminence overlooking the Malldraeth marsh : it is appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service, but is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. Several small charitable donations and bequests have been made at various times, of which the greater part has been lost ; the interest of the remainder is annually distributed among the poor. Two gold coins of the Emperor Constantine, in a good state of preservation, were found near the church, in the year 1829, and several silver and copper coins of that and other emperors have been found in the parish. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
William and Robert Thomas and Miss Hannah Hughes, Ty'n Buarth, Llangaffo papers 1871-1979 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Robert Thomas (1884 - c. 1950), a farmer, was the son of William and Margaret Thomas of Ty'n Buarth, Llangaffo, Anglesey. "
You can see the administrative areas in which Llangaffo has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
H. O. Hughes, Llangaffo Plays and Dialogues, Early 20th century - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"H. O. Hughes, playwright of Cefnmawr, Llangaffo is the author of Yr Unig Faband Y Melinydd...... "