|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANGAFFO, a parish in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 4 miles N.W. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 4 S. of Llangefni. It is situated in the vicinity of the Chester and Holyhead railway, the Gaerwen station being a short distance from the village. The place is marshy, and mats are manufactured from the sea-weed. In the parish are slight remains of Bodwyr, an old house of the 16th century. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Llangeinwen, in the diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Caffo, is a modern structure, with a spire, built in 1845. The charities produce about £4 per annum. In the vicinity are views of the Snowdonian mountains, terminating in the W. with the abrupt precipices of Yr Eifl." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangaffo Parish; Statistics; Area 1590 acres; Population 75 males, 63 females, total 138
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
Llangaffo - on wicipedia (Welsh)
Bodowyr Burial Chamber, nr Llangaffo - on the waymarking site
Crosses/stones at St Caffo - on the megalithic site
LLANGAFO (LLAN - GAFFO), a parish in the hundred of MENAI, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Carnarvon, containing 137 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Caffo, who flourished in this part of Wales about the middle of the sixth century. It comprehends an extensive tract of land, of which a large portion is marshy, some part hilly, and the remainder enclosed and in a fair state of cultivation. In 1790, an act of parliament was obtained for more effectually embanking the marshes called Maldraeth and Corsddeugae, under the provisions of which two hundred and thirty acres were allotted to the several proprietors of land in this parish. The soil is in general fertile, and the lower grounds afford excellent pasturage for cattle. The surrounding scenery, though pleasingly varied, is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, but the higher grounds afford some fine views over the adjacent country. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llangeinwen, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church is a small ancient edifice, situated on an eminence overlooking the Malldraeth marsh : it is appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service, but is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. Several small charitable donations and bequests have been made at various times, of which the greater part has been lost ; the interest of the remainder is annually distributed among the poor. Two gold coins of the Emperor Constantine, in a good state of preservation, were found near the church, in the year 1829, and several silver and copper coins of that and other emperors have been found in the parish. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date