We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANGEFNI, a parish and market town in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, North Wales, 7 miles N. of Newborough, 8 W. of Beaumaris, and 4½ S. of the Gaerwen station on the Chester and Holyhead line of railway. It is situated in a vale, watered by the river Cefni, which is here crossed by a-bridge of two arches. The main road between Bangor and Holyhead passes through it, as well as the old Roman road. The little town of Llangefni is a bustling and prosperous place, with a population of about 1,800. It contains a market-house, a commercial bank, and one for savings. Petty sessions are held in the town. It unites with Beaumaris and others in returning one member to parliament. The chief employments of the people are leather dressing, malting, and the woollen manufacture. There are corn mills on the stream. In the last century it was only a small hamlet." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


An act for inclosing lands in Llangefni, Llanddyfnan, Pentraeth, and Cerrigceinwen, in the County of Anglesey : (Royal Assent, 9 June 1812.). [London : Printed by Luke Hansard & Sons], 1812. 27p

Cofiant a phregethau y Parch. David Thomas, Llangefni. Caernarfon : Argraphwyd gan W. Gwenlyn Evans, [1891]. 271p

Education in Wales : memorial to the Committee of Council on Education in refernce to their proposed exclusion of British schools at Llangefni and Menai Bridge, Anglesey from participation in the Parliamentary Grant. London : Blackburn & Burt, 1851. 28p

Frimston, Thomas. Ebenezer : sef, hanes Eglwys Fedyddiedig Llangefni, o'i chychwyniad yn 1779 hyd 1897 (118 mlynedd), yn nghyda hanes ei gweinidogion, a'i chymanfaoedd ... Caernarfon : Cwmni'r Wasg Genedlaethol Gymreig, pr., 1897. 128p

Jones, Gwilym T. Llangefni - 80 years ago. Country Quest 28/5 (1987), p. 37-9

Roberts, John. Plans of properties in the parishes of Llanidan, Llanfihangel Esceifiog, Llanddaniel, Llaniestyn, Heneglwys and Llangefni in the couty of Anglesey. c 1756. 17 maps

Wiliam, Dafydd Wyn. Dafydd Wyn Wiliam ar hanes argraffu Llangefni . Y Casglwr 31 (1987), p. 13

Williams, J R. St. Cyngar's Church, Llangefni . Bangor : Welsh National Centre for Religious Education, [1988] 27p

Business and Commerce Records

North Wales Chronicle Co. Limited, Y Clorianydd office, Llangefni, records 1871-1965 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The North Wales Chronicle was established in 1827. The company was taken over in the 1960s by North Wales Newspapers Ltd; it had published a Welsh-language newspaper, Y Clorianydd, from offices in Llangefni  and Bangor, 1891-1969"

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llangefni Gas Co;- 19th cent-20th cent: records



You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llangefni area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llangefni Parish and Borough; Statistics; Area 2426 acres; Population 813 males, 986 females, total 1799

  • Llangefni Parish Church     Consecrated in 1824 in lieu of an old church         Attendance - morning 105 + 110 scholars, afternoon 70 + 30 scholars, evening 72 + 40 scholars       Services in Welsh     N Owen, Rector
  • Ebenezer, Baptist          Erected 1785      Attendance - morning 157, afternoon 129 scholars, evening 259            David Roberts, Baptist Minister
  • Dinas Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist      Erected before 1800      Attendance - morning 162 scholars, afternoon 391, evening 420     "The number of Scholars actually receiving instruction on the 30th March was much below the average [ afternoon 280] owing to the School on that day being held in the morning instead of the afternoon, many of the children being obliged to attend the morning service at the Parish Church"      Sam Ellis, Elder
  • Wesleyan Methodist             Erected 1803         Attendance - morning 46 scholars, afternoon 69 + 9 scholars, evening 70 + 10 scholars           Edward Thomas, Elder, Church St
  • Rhos y Meirch Chapel, Independent         Erected 1749      Dwelling house and stable adjoining         Attendance - morning 110, afternoon 96, evening 150     William Williams, 4 Crosses, Tregaean
  • Smyrna, Independents          Erected 1844          Attendance - morning 37 scholars, afternoon 69, evening 56         Owen Lewis, Deacon, Marketplace, Llangefni


  • Eglwys St Cyngar    -  on geograph.org.uk
  • St. Gaian's church, Tregaian, Near Capel Coch  - on geograph.org.uk
  • Eglwys Gatholig St Joseff Catholic Church, Penmynydd Road  -  on geograph.org.uk
  • Penuel Baptist chapel, Ffordd Glandwr - on geograph.org.uk     and     "..... Penuel Welsh Baptist Chapel was built in 1897........"   coflein
  • "Ty Cildwrn/Ebenezer Baptist Chape [Ffordd Cildwrn Rd] was first built in 1791 and the renowned preacher Christmas Evans was Minister here from 1791 to1826. The chapel was modified in 1810 and a gallerey installed in 1815. ..........modified again in 1866 and then rebuilt in 1878..........."        coflein
  • Capel Moreia (CM), the John Elias Memorial Chapel    -   on geograph.org.uk       and      "... first built during the late eighteenth century and and rebuilt .....in 1836"     coflein    and   "Moreia Calvinistic Methodist Chapel .............. was built to replace the one founded in 1794 by John Elias,........"    coflein
  • "Lon-y-Felin [CM] Methodist Chapel [Mill St/Peter St] was built in 1903......" coflein
  • Capel Ebenezer, Bridge St (Wesleyan)   -  on geograph.org.uk        and     "...... originally built in 1803 but the present building dates from 1865....."        coflein
  • Capel Smyrna (Ind), Glanhwfa Rd  -   on geograph.org.uk       and     ".......... was built in 1844, rebuilt in 1870 and again in 1903. ......"   coflein
  • Capel Cildwrn (Ind) chapel - on geograph.org.uk


Rees, Thomas & John Thomas   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Rhosymeirch section (in Welsh) has been extracted  - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (June 2014)             Also Llangefni Ind chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Nov 2014)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llangefni which are provided by:

Llangefni - on the Anglesey info site

Llangefni - on wicipedia (Welsh)



Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Evans, Arthur J., Llangefni, papurau (papers) [1946]-1983 
    "Papers ... mostly accumulated while researching the volume Tu Hwnt i'r Llenni(1983), including photographs depicting Llangefni, local events and dignitaries and visits from politicians, [1946]-1983, and copies of photographs, [late 19th century]; etc..."
  • Myfanwy Roberts, Collection of Stirrup Family and Llangefni Papers [1898]-1985
    "Myfanwy Owen was married to Idwal Roberts in 1941; they lived at London House, Llangefni, Anglesey. ......... She was a friend of Gwen Price (1901-1972), contralto, of Llangefni. She accumulated a group of 19th-20th century papers concerning the Stirrup family of drapers, Beehive, Llangefni, and Creigle, Penrallt, Llangefni, and various old photographs and documents relating to the Llangefni area, including local families."
  • T. C. Simpson and Parry family, Llangefni, Papers 1854-[1973]  
    "Sydna Parry (née Owen) (born [ c. 1819]) was married to Hugh Parry of Llangefni. The Owen family included her brothers Captain John Owen (fl. 1854-1884), commander of the barques the Charles Sprague, Esther and Peri, Richard Owen of Caernarfon, Caernarfonshire, and Owen S. Owen of Clapham, Surrey."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llangefni has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llangefni Community Council;- 1831-1990: registers of burials and graves, financial records, administrative papers, minutes
  • Llangefni land tax;- 1749-1869: assessments
  • Llangefni Parish;- 1709-1999: records
  • Llangefni tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Llangefni Urban District Council;- 1890-1974: minutes of board, council and committees, ledgers, rate books, accounts, plans and planning papers, medical officer's reports, register of billets 1939-43 and returning evacuees 1944-45
  • Llangefni window tax;- 1757: assessment


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH460757 (Lat/Lon: 53.255886, -4.310021), Llangefni which are provided by:

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llangefni Urban District Council Records 1890-1977   "Llangefni Urban District Council was established under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894, covering the civil parish of Llangefni ...... abolished in 1974"
  • Bodwrog Vestry Book 1807-1815
    "Vestry book for the parish of Bodwrog, Anglesey, 1807-1809, 1811-1815; along with an assessment of the parish of Llangefni, Anglesey, 1807. The document provides important information relating to local place-name"
  • Llangefni Parish Records 1717-1875  "Parish records consists of books and papers ..........."


Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llangefni Secondary School;- 1899-1969: records

Social life and Customs

Papurau Theatr Fach Llangefni  1940-1983 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Cymdeithas Ddrama Llangefni, Anglesey, was an amateur dramatic society, active from 1942."