|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANGOED, (or Llangowrda), a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 2 miles N. of Beaumaris, its post town, and 6 from Bangor. It is situated near, the south-eastern extremity of the county, having Beaumaris Bay on the S., and the Irish Sea on the N. Excellent marble as well as limestone is obtained. The road skirts an elevated range of hills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Llaniestyn and Llanfihangel-Din-Sylwry annexed, £130. The church is dedicated to St. Cawrdav. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Particulars and plan of desirable freehold farms and lands situate in the several parishes of Llanidan, Ceirchiog, Amlwch, Llangoed, and Llaniestyn in the County of Anglesea [sic] : sold by auction by Mr. Wm. Dew, 22 August 1861, at the Bull Hotel, Llangefni. Chester : W.F. and M. Healey, 1861. 6p
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangoes (?) Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1343 acres; Population 282 males, 320 females, total; 602
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Glanyrafon section (in Welsh) has been extracted
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Aerial photograph of Penmon Priory, Llangoed - on the People's Collection Wales site
Llangoed - on wikipedia
LLANGOED (LLAN-GOED), or LLANGOURDA, a parish in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Beaumaris, containing 562 inhabitants. This place, the name of which signifies "the church in the wood," is situated on the shore of the Irish sea, by which it is bounded on the north, and forms an enclosed and well-cultivated tract. The surrounding scenery is agreeably varied, and the views over the sea and the adjacent country are extensive, and abound with interesting features. Plas yn Llangoed, in this parish, the residence of Mrs. Hughes, is a spacious mansion, occupying a delightful situation, embracing within its demesnes a rich variety of scenery, and commanding, from various parts of the grounds, extensive prospects of considerable beauty. On the sea-shore are very large quarries of black and grey marble, and of limestone, from which the government works at Port Patrick and other places are supplied. From the former are raised blocks of marble weighing ten tons, and slabs of large dimensions, susceptible of a high polish; and from the latter, stone of excellent quality for building, and also for burning into lime. These quarries, which are worked upon an extensive scale, afford employment to more than a hundred men, exclusively of others who are engaged in the navigation of ten vessels, which are constantly employed in transporting the larger blocks to Ireland, and the smaller pieces to Liverpool. The situation of the quarries near the sea-shore affords great facility for shipping off their produce ; and on this part of the coast is good anchorage for vessels, while waiting to receive their freight. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed, with that of Llanvihangel-Din-Sylwy, to the rectory of Llaniestyn, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, endowed conjointly with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £ 900 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. Robert J. Hughes. The church, dedicated to St. Cawrdav, is of very ancient foundation : the present structure was erected in 1613, at the expense of Henry Johnes, Esq., to whom James I. granted the tithes of this parish. It is a spacious and elegant cruciform edifice, in the later style of English architecture, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north and south transepts, and containing some good monuments to the memory of deceased members of the families of Johnes and Hughes. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. William Wynne, by deed in 1670, gave a tenement called Tyddyn Llwyn, in the parish of Bethgelart, in the county, of Carnarvon, the rent of which he directed to be appropriated to the apprenticing of two poor boys either of this parish or that of Penmon adjoining, and also for the purchase of six coats annually, to be given to six poor men at Christmas, and of six penny loaves to be distributed weekly on Sunday : this tenement is now worth £200 per annum, but no appropriation of its rental to the objects for which it was given has been made since 1826. There are several other benefactions to the poor, the proceeds of the whole of which are either lost or misapplied. Plas Newydd, a very extensive farm in this parish, was left by the foundress of Llandwrog almshouses, in Carmarthenshire, towards their support, and is now become a very valuable property. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 162. 13. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Castle Uk net site - Castell Aberlleiniog, an earthwork motytye and bailey
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date