"LLANGRISTIOLUS, a parish in the hundred of Malltraeth, county Anglesey, 1 mile S. of Llangefni, and 4 miles N. of Newborough. Bangor is its post town. The river Cefni flows through the parish. Here are collieries and quarries. The road to Amlwch here branches off to the right. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, with the curacy of Cerregceinwen annexed, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Cristiolus, occupies the site of one built in the early part of the 7th century. The charities are some cottages for the poor. This was the birth-place of Maurice, the Margaret professor of divinity at Oxford." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Trefdraeth parish; Llanidan parish; Llangristiolus parish. Particulars with plans of very valuable ....freehold estates, farms and lands ... two thousand seven hundred acres .... to be sold by auction in 48 lots / By Mr. William Dew at The Bull Inn, Llangefni on Thursday the 17th and Friday the 18th days of August 1865.
Walker, Thomas G. Dau blwyf : hanes Llangristiolus a Cherrig Ceinwen. [1944?]. 80p
Williamson, Robert M. Pryddest farwnadol er parchus goffadwriaeth am y diweddar hyglodus a'r elusengar foneddwr Y Parch John Roberts, M. A., Gweinidog Llangristiolus a Cherrugceinwen, Mon ... efe a fu farw y 24 o Awst, 1845, yn 41 oed. Caernarfon : Argraffwyd gan L. E. Jones, 1845. 22p
Joyce and Douglas Hinde have provided a transcript of the: 1851 Census of Llangristiolus.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangristiolus Parish; Statistics; Area 3936 acres; Population 461 males, 514 females, total 975
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Capel Mawr (Capel Paradwys) (in Welsh) - with translation
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record office.
Llangristiolus Parish Burials Register 1813-1869 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Llangristiolus - on wicipedia (Welsh)
LLANGRYSTYOLYS (LLAN - GRISTIOLUS), a parish in the hundred of MALLTRAETH, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (S. S. W.) from Llangevni, containing 873 inhabitants. This parish, which takes its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cristiolus, who flourished about the middle of the seventh century, is situated on the great road from London to Holyhead, and near the upper part of the Malldraeth marsh, over which the road is continued by a noble embankment, extending nearly a mile in length. In 1788 and 1790, acts of parliament were obtained for constructing an embankment to secure this low tract from the encroachment of the sea, and for enclosing it, as it formed an extent of about three thousand acres, comprised chiefly within the limits of this parish. Under the provisions of these acts considerable progress had been made in the execution of this work, and many thousand pounds expended on it, when, in 1796, a violent irruption of the sea destroyed the greater part of the embankment, and the enterprise was for some time abandoned. This desirable work was, however, resumed under the sanction of an act of parliament obtained in 1815, and the undertaking was successfully completed in 1819. The entire parish consists of a large tract of enclosed and well-cultivated land, with some common and waste. The surrounding scenery is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature from what is generally found in this part of the island; the soil is various, but for the most part fertile. Coal and free-stone of good quality exist in the parish, but have not been hitherto worked to any advantage. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Cerregceinwen annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor, to whom, as Archdeacon of Anglesey, the tithes of the parish are appropriated. The church is supposed to have been originally built about the year 610: the present structure is spacious and handsome, exhibiting some elegant architectural details, and decorated with an east window of good design, enriched with elegant tracery. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A parochial school, in which a few boys are gratuitously taught to read and write, is supported partly by a small endowment, and partly by subscription. The Rev. Hugh Jones bequeathed £ 100; the Rev. Dr. Lewis, £50 ; John GriffIth Lewis, £ 10 ; Owen David ab Owen, £ 10; and various other benefactors smaller sums of money; the interest of which, amounting to £ 17. 10., is annually distributed among the poor of the parish at Christmas. Dr. Henry Maurice, of Jesus' College, Oxford, and Margaret Professor of Divinity in that university, was born in this parish, in 1648: he accompanied his patron, Sir Leoline Jenkins, to Cologne, whither he was sent as ambassador, and greatly distinguished himself as a polemical writer. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £472.2. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996