|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANIESTYN, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 3 miles N.W. of Beaumaris, and N.E. of Llangefni. Gwindy is its post town. It lies a little to the E. of Red Wharfe Bay, or as it is locally called, Traeth Coch. The living is a curacy annexed to the perpetual curacy of Llangoed, in the diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Jestyn, occupies the site of one which formerly belonged to the priory of Llanfaes. It contains a curious font of the 12th century, a slab of the 14th, supposed to commemorate St. Jestyn, and a painting of St. Catherine. At a short distance from this are remains of Brwydd Arthur, or Arthur's Round Table, the largest camp in Anglesey." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Particulars and plan of desirable freehold farms and lands situate in the several parishes of Llanidan, Ceirchiog, Amlwch, Llangoed, and Llaniestyn in the County of Anglesea [sic] : sold by auction by Mr. Wm. Dew, 22 August 1861, at the Bull Hotel, Llangefni. Chester : W.F. and M. Healey, 1861. 6p
Roberts, John. Plans of properties in the parishes of Llanidan, Llanfihangel Esceifiog, Llanddaniel, Llaniestyn, Heneglwys and Llangefni in the couty of Anglesey. c 1756. 17 maps
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llaniestyn Parish; Statistics; Area 1663 acres; Population 134 males, 117 females, total 251
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
LLANIESTYN (LLAN-IESTYN), a parish partly in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, and partly within the liberties of the borough of BEAUMARIS, county, of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Beaumaris, containing 313 inhabitants, of which number, 135 are in the former, and 178 in the latter, portion. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Iestyn, by whom it was founded towards the close of the sixth century. It is situated nearly in the centre of the promontory which separates Beaumaris Roads from the Irish sea, and comprises a small tract of land, the greater part of which is enclosed. and cultivated. The surrounding scenery is distinguished by features rather of a bold than pleasing character ; and the country adjacent is studded with eminences of considerable elevation. The distant views are interesting and extensive, reaching over the Menai strait on the south, and the Irish sea to the north. The living is a vicarage not in charge, with the perpetual curacies of Llangoed and Llanvihangel-Din-Sylwy annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, and in the patronage of the Rev. Robert J. Hughes. The church, originally founded by St. Iestyn, at the close of the sixth century, was granted in 1243, by Prince Llewelyn, to the priory which he had recently founded at Llanvaes, to which establishment it belonged at the dissolution. Of the ancient church there are no other remains than the tomb of the founder, which has been carefully preserved and is now deposited in the present church, a neat edifice of modern erection. This ancient monument is of curious workmanship, and is decorated with a figure of the saint in sacerdotal vestments, having a pastoral staff in the right hand and an open scroll in the left : round the waist is a broad girdle, from which hangs a cord and tassel similar to that worn by the monastic order of St. Francis. On the scroll is a mutilated inscription in ancient characters, which has been variously read by different antiquaries, and of which the following is the tenour, as given by the Hon. Daines Barrington, and adopted by Mr. Pennant : Hic jacet Santtus Yestinus, cui Gwenllian, Filia Madoc et Gryffyt ap Gwilym, optulit in oblacoem istam imaginem p. salute animarum s." The inscription, however, is at present so much defaced, and so many of the characters obliterated, as to render it very difficult, if not impossible, to decypher it with any degree of accuracy. This monument is noticed by Rowlands, in his " Mona Anti-qua Restaurata," and an account of it was read before the Society of Antiquaries, in 1776, and published in the fifth volume of the Archaelogia. The income arising from a few small charitable donations and bequests; which have been vested in the purchase of land, producing a trifling rental, is annually distributed among the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £72. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996