|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANRHYDDLAD, a parish in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 5 miles N.E. of Holyhead, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Llanerchymedd. It is situated at the foot of the hill Moel Rhyddlad, near the coast of Holyhead Bay. Copper and manganese are obtained here. It is a small fishing village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Llanfflewin and Llanrhwdrys, £530, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Rhyddlad. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The parochial endowments produce nearly £36 per annum. This was the birth-place of S. Williams, Speaker of the House of Commons, whose father was for some time rector." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanrhyddlad Parish; Statistics; Area 2679 acres; Population 394 males, 402 females, total 796
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
LLANRHYDDLAD (LLAN-RHUDDLAD), a parish in the hundred of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Llanerchymedd, containing 628 inhabitants. This parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the shore of the Irish sea, which washes the western side of it : the surface is boldly varied, and the views from the higher grounds are extensive, embracing an interesting prospect over the sea and the adjacent country, which abounds with pleasing, and in some parts with picturesque, scenery. The village, which is small, is situated at the foot of Moel Rhyddlad, one of the highest mountains in the island, and for that reason selected by Colonel Mudge as one of his principal stations in making the trigonometrical survey of North Wales. Considerable quantities of manganese, and some copper-ore, have been found upon this mountain ; but no mines have yet been opened. The living is a discharged rectory, with Llanvlewin and Llanrhwydrus annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 14. 11. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The tithes of the ancient parish of Llandogvael are received alternately by the rectors of this parish and Llanvechell. The church, dedicated to St. Rhyddlad, is a small edifice, not distinguished by any architectural features of importance. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The interest of several small charitable donations and bequests, two of which are small portions of land, is annually distributed among the poor at Christmas. Sir William Williams, Speaker of the House of Commons in the reign of Charles II., was born in this parish, of which his father, Dr. Hugh Williams, founder of the families of Wynnstay, Bodelwyddan, and Penbedwr, was rector from 1633 till 1670. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 208.11. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date