|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANSADWRN, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 2 miles W. of Beaumaris, and 4 E. of Llangefni. Bangor is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated at a short distance from the coast, about 4 miles from the Menai Bridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value £381, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Sadwrn. Here are some Druidic remains." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Borne, Patricia. Hafoty, Llansadwrn, Anglesey : excavations and survey 1976-1978 : a report. [Nottingham] : University of Nottingham, Department of Archaeology, 1979.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llansadwrn Parish; Statistics; Area 2891 acres; Population 225 males, 219 females, total 444
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
Where is Llansadwrn ? - on Donald Perkins' site
Llansadwrn - on wicipedia (Welsh)
LLANSADWRN (LLAN-SADWRN), a parish in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (W.) from Beaumaris, containing 371 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the eastern part of the county, and within four miles of the Menai bridge, comprises a moderate portion of land, of which the whole is enclosed, and the greater part in a state of good cultivation. The houses of the inhabitants are scattered over the parish in detached situations, not forming any village ; and the surrounding scenery, though not characterized by any peculiarity of feature, is pleasingly rural. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 7. 6. 0 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Sadwrn, from which circumstance the parish derives its name, is a small but neat edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north transept, and was thoroughly repaired at a considerable expense in 1829. In the transept, projecting from one of the walls, is the head of an ecclesiastic, well executed in stone; and outside the same part of the edifice is the head of a bear, with a muzzle and chain, also curiously carved in stone. A fragment of stone has been found, which is now placed within the transept under the head above mentioned, bearing part of. a mutilated inscription in Roman characters, in which the word " Saturninus," still legible, seems to shew that it was part of the monument of that saint, by whom the church is supposed to have been founded about the year 603. The farms of Bryn Eryr and Rhos Owen, left by Dr. Rowlands for the support of his almshouses at Bangor, are in this parish. Rowland Jones, in 1715, left a tenement called Gorslas, the rent of which he appropriated in equal shares to the poor of this parish and that of Pentraeth ; and Mrs. Roberts, in 1756, bequeathed £ 150, the interest of which sum she directed to be given in equal shares to three of the poorest and most deserving housekeepers of Llansadwrn. In a field adjoining Trevor, in this parish, are the remains of two ancient cromlechs ; the larger, which was supported on two upright stones more than ten feet high, fell down in 1825. There are some remains of an ancient fortress, near an old, family mansion called " Castellior," which, from several relics of antiquity discovered in the immediate vicinity, is supposed to be of Roman origin. In the marsh near the base of Llwydiart mountain, fossil oak trees, acorns, and nuts are found, several feet below the surface, retaining all their original freshness. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £137. 10. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Aerial photograph of Hafoty, Llansadwrn - on the People's Collection Wales
"The original house was built on this site near Llansadwrn, Anglesey, during the 14th century, and it is regarded as a unique example in north Wales of a timber-framed building which was later enclosed with stone "
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996