|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLECHCYNFARWY, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, county Anglesey, 3 miles S.W. of Llanerchymedd, 2 from Gwindy, its post town, and 9 from Holyhead. It is a small rustic place. Near the church is a stone pillar 9 feet high. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llantrisaint, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is a cruciform structure dedicated to St. Cynvarwy, and stands on the same spot as one built in the 7th century. The parochial endowments are worth about £25 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llechcynfarwydd Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1964 acres; Population 206 males, 195 females, total 401
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
LLECHCYNVARWYDD (LLECH-GYNVARWY), a parish in the hundred of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, the church being 3 miles (S. W.) from Llanerchymedd, containing 442 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cynvarwy, an eminent British saint, who flourished towards the close of the seventh century, is situated in the western portion of the island, on the road leading from Llanerchymedd to the old line of road to Holyhead. It extends to the former of these towns, and comprehends a very large tract of land, of which the greater portion is enclosed and cultivated. The surface is boldly undulated, rising in some parts into considerable eminences ; and the higher grounds command extensive prospects over the surrounding country. The soil is of a poor argillaceous quality, and produces chiefly oats, with a small proportion of wheat and barley. The living is annexed to the rectory of Llantrisant, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, which is supposed to have been originally founded about the year 630, is a spacious and handsome cruciform structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north and south transepts. Within the limits of this parish the present rector of Llantrisant, in 1826, built a handsome parsonage-house, which, with fifteen acres of land, his private property, he has given to the rectory for ever. There are places.of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The poor children of this parish receive gratuitous instruction in the National school at Llanerchymedd. Mrs. Margaret Wynne bequeathed a small portion of land, the produce of which she appropriated to the support of one indigent and aged woman.; Mrs. Catherine Roberts bequeathed £ 50 in money, for the support of two poor housekeepers ; and there are likewise some smaller charitable donations for the benefit of the poor. In a field adjoining the church is an upright stone, called Maen Llechgwenvarwydd, which is more than nine feet high, and appears to be of great antiquity. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 185.5. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Llechgynfarwy Parish Records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date