|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLECHYLCHED, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, county Anglesey, 4 miles N.W. of Aberffraw, and 8 from Gwindy, its post town. The village is neatly built. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llanbeulan, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Ilched." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llechylched Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1783 acres; Population 317 males, 337 females, total 654
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
Capel Gwyn Baptist chapel, Llechylched - records 1859-1883 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
View across farmland towards churchyard of Llechylched old church - on geograph.org
LLECHYLCHED (LLECH-YLCHED), a parish in the hundred of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (S.E. by E.) from Holyhead, containing 405 inhabitants. This parish, which is of very moderate extent, lies in the south-western part of the island ; and the church is situated far from any house, in a marshy valley watered by a stream which falls into the bay of Carnarvon. The surrounding sceneryis not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, except that of a dreary and unprepossessing aspect. The road from London to Holyhead passes through the village, of which the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The living is annexed to the rectory of Llanbeulan, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Ilched, is a small edifice. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A National school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children of this and the adjoining parishes, was established in 1829: it is supported by subscription, and the present number of children is seventy-five. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £ 176. 7. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date