GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places

Anglesey Anglesey    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

TREWALCHMAI

"TREWALCHMAI, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, county Anglesey, 6 miles W. of Llangefni, and 10 from Bangor. It contains the hamlets of Cemas-Coed and Gwalchmai. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Heneglwys, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Mordeyrn. The parochial charities produce about 20 per annum!" [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Trewalchmai Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1700 acres; Population 369 males, 406 females, total 775

###########################

 

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Gwalchmai section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Aug 2014)

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.

Description and Travel

Gwalchmai - on wicipedia (Welsh)

Gazetteers

Land and Property

Trewalchmai Tithe Apportionment 1840-1841 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Copy Tithe Apportionment for the parish of Trewalchmai, Anglesey, 1840-1841, together with map. Includes cereal prices and names of owners and occupiers of land"

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 11 Aug 2014 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.