Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
BATTLE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"BATTLE, a parish in the hundred of Merthyr, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3 miles to the W. of Brecknock. It is situated in a district of great beauty, near the junction of the river Yschir with the Usk. This place once belonged to the priory of Brecknock, which was made a cell to Battle abbey, in Sussex. Its name is most probably explained by this circumstance. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £73, in the patronage of Browne's Trustees. The church is dedicated to St. Cynog, and stands on high ground by the Yschir, commanding a fine view. Penoyre, a modern mansion, in the midst of beautiful grounds, overlooking magnificent scenery, is the seat of J. Watkins, Esq."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.