"BATTLE, a parish in the hundred of Merthyr, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3 miles to the W. of Brecknock. It is situated in a district of great beauty, near the junction of the river Yschir with the Usk. This place once belonged to the priory of Brecknock, which was made a cell to Battle abbey, in Sussex. Its name is most probably explained by this circumstance. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £73, in the patronage of Browne's Trustees. The church is dedicated to St. Cynog, and stands on high ground by the Yschir, commanding a fine view. Penoyre, a modern mansion, in the midst of beautiful grounds, overlooking magnificent scenery, is the seat of J. Watkins, Esq."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|