We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
BRYNLLYS - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"BRYNLLYS, (or Broynllis), a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, in the county of Brecon, South Wales, 7 miles to the N.E. of Brecknock. It is situated to the S. of the river Wye. In this parish are the remains of a castle, which was founded soon after the Norman Conquest, and was held at one time by the Cliffords, and afterwards by the Bohuns. It was partly destroyed by fire in the 12th century. A round tower still remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £174, in the gift of W. D. Wilkins, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities produce about £7 a year. Pont-y-wal is the chief residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.