"BRYNLLYS, (or Broynllis), a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, in the county of Brecon, South Wales, 7 miles to the N.E. of Brecknock. It is situated to the S. of the river Wye. In this parish are the remains of a castle, which was founded soon after the Norman Conquest, and was held at one time by the Cliffords, and afterwards by the Bohuns. It was partly destroyed by fire in the 12th century. A round tower still remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £174, in the gift of W. D. Wilkins, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities produce about £7 a year. Pont-y-wal is the chief residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|