Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
CANTREF - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"CANTREF, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3 miles to the S. of Brecknock, its post town. It lies in a mountainous district, at the foot of the Brecknock Beacons, on a small stream which runs northward to the river Usk. Its ancient name was Cynnedd. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Powell, incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated on a wooded hill by the river, and the churchyard commands a fine view. The parish is of large extent, comprising about 20,000 acres, and includes the district parish of Nantddu, which has its own church. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £60, in the gift of the vicar."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions