"CANTREFF, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3 miles to the S. of Brecknock, its post town. It lies in a mountainous district, at the foot of the Brecknock Beacons, on a small stream which runs northward to the river Usk. Its ancient name was Cynnedd. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Powell, incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated on a wooded hill by the river, and the churchyard commands a fine view. The parish is of large extent, comprising about 20,000 acres, and includes the district parish of Nantddu, which has its own church. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £60, in the gift of the vicar."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|