Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"CATHEDINE, a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 6 miles to the E. of Brecknock. Crickhowell is its post town. It lies in a mountainous district near the border of Herefordshire, and is watered by a branch of the river Wye. In this parish is Blaenllynfi, a nominal borough of ancient date long decayed, and the site of a venerable castle built by the Normans, of which some traces remain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £141, in the patronage of the Rev. R. W. P. Davies. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Cathedine House is the principal residence." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given under Breconshire Parish Registers on the Powys Archives website
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales (NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives:
- Baptisms 1732-1991; Marriages 1732-1812, 1814-1835, 1838-1971; Burials 1732-1991 Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives. Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW.
Places, villages, farms etc., in Cathedine parish as shown on the parish map on the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Ball)
- Cathedine  - Castell Blaen-Llynfi, Cathedine, Cathedine Hill, Heol-las, Nant-y-felin, Treholford, Upper Cathedine, Wern-ddu
You can see pictures of Cathedin which are provided by:
Plan of the parish of Cathedin.1839. William Jones, High Street, Brecon, valuer and surveyor. Second class map.Voluntary agreement. Commutation dated 18.04.1839. Shows tithable parts only; includes foot/bridleway, waterbodies, houses, woods, plantations, gardens and common. 1,567 acres commuted. Apportionment by holding. Land use details and field-names given in apportionment schedule. Tithe rent charge £160 (£160 Rector).
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO143251 (Lat/Lon: 51.917768, -3.247504), Cathedin which are provided by: