"CATHEDINE, a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 6 miles to the E. of Brecknock. Crickhowell is its post town. It lies in a mountainous district near the border of Herefordshire, and is watered by a branch of the river Wye. In this parish is Blaenllynfi, a nominal borough of ancient date long decayed, and the site of a venerable castle built by the Normans, of which some traces remain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £141, in the patronage of the Rev. R. W. P. Davies. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Cathedine House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|