"GLASBURY, a parish partly in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, and partly in that of Painscastle, county Radnor, South Wales, 4 miles S.W. of Hay, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Talgarth. The parish includes the hamlets of Pipton, Tregoed, and Velindre. The river Wye flows through the village, which is situated in a fine spot. Aberllunfi is a parish of itself, but its church has been suffered to go to ruin, and the chancel of Glasbury church has been given for the accommodation of the Aberllunfi people. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £382. The advowson was granted to the monks of Gloucester Abbey, by Bernard Newmarch, in 1088, and since the Dissolution the Bishop of Gloucester has always presented to the living.
The parochial charities are considerable. The Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyan Methodists have chapels, and there is a National school, built in the last century by Miss Bridget Hughes. The oldest seats now standing are Tregoyd, of Viscount Hereford, built temp. Elizabeth, by William Watkins, whose heiress was married by Pryce Devereux, of Montgomery; Gwernyvet, purchased in 1600 by the Williams family, now represented by General Wood, of Littleton; Glasbury House, of Mrs. Papendick, representative of the Hugheses of Denbighshire; and Maeslwch, of the De Wintons. Two lines of railway are now (1864) approaching completion, which will connect this parish on the one hand with London, via Hereford, and on the other with North Wales.
"ABERLLUNVEY, (Aberllynfi), a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, and union of Hay, in the county of Brecon, South Wales, 4 miles S.W. of Hay. It is situated at the confluence of the Llunvey and the Wye. The parish is united with Glasbury, and is commonly considered a hamlet or chapelry thereto. There is no church. The inhabitants marry and bury at Glasbury, but they pay no church-rates. No tithes have been paid here within the memory of man. An old yew-tree tells where once a church stood, and persons lately living could recollect tombstones. The ground is now covered with fir-trees. Aberllunvey is on the south bank of the Wye, and in the midst of scenery beautiful and diversified."
"PIPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Glasbury, hundred of Talgarth, county Brecknock, 4 miles S.W. of Hay."
"THREE-COCKS, a junction station on the Mid-Wales railway, in the parish of Aberllynfi, county Brecon, south Wales."
"TREGO YD, a hamlet in the parish of Glasbury, hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 3 miles S.W. of Hay. Tregoyd is the seat of Viscount Hereford."
"VELINDRE, a hamlet in the parish of Glasbury, hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 4 miles S.W. of Hay, near Tregoed."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|