"LLANGORSE, a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 6 miles E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated on the river Llynvi, within a short distance of Llangorse Lake, sometimes called Llyn Savaddan, which abounds with fish. The lake is about 5 miles in circumference, and ranks as the second lake in Wales after Bala. The tram-road to Hay passes through the parish. The neighbourhood, especially in the vicinity of the lake, is much frequented for the sake of its pike fishing, and in winter for its wild fowl shooting. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value £170, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to St. Paulinus, has a good cradle roof. The parochial charities amount to about £5 per annum. Here are remains of an establishment called Cwrt-y-Prin, formerly belonging to Brecon priory, also the ruins of Blaen-lyffni Castle."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|