Open a form to report problems or contribute information
LLANBEDR - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANBEDR, a parish in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 2 miles N.E. of Crickhowell, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Abergavenny. It is situated at the foot of the Sugar-Loaf Hill. The river Grwny, a tributary of the Usk, flows through the parish, which includes the parcels of Bysych and Graigwen. Iron ore is obtained here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Partrishow annexed, £154. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Peter. The tower is of older date than the body of the church. The parochial charities produce about £38 per annum, chiefly arising from a bequest by Mrs. Herbert, in 1728, for school purposes. Bishop F. Godwin once held this living. Moor Park is the principal residence."
"BYSICH, a parcel of the parish of Llanbedr, in the hundred of Crickhowell, and county of Brecon, South Wales, 2 miles to the N.E. of Crickhowell."
"GRAIGWEN, a parcel in the parish of Llanbedr, county Brecon, South Wales, 2 miles S.E. of Crickhowel."