"LLANBEDR, a parish in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 2 miles N.E. of Crickhowell, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Abergavenny. It is situated at the foot of the Sugar-Loaf Hill. The river Grwny, a tributary of the Usk, flows through the parish, which includes the parcels of Bysych and Graigwen. Iron ore is obtained here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Partrishow annexed, £154. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Peter. The tower is of older date than the body of the church. The parochial charities produce about £38 per annum, chiefly arising from a bequest by Mrs. Herbert, in 1728, for school purposes. Bishop F. Godwin once held this living. Moor Park is the principal residence."
"BYSICH, a parcel of the parish of Llanbedr, in the hundred of Crickhowell, and county of Brecon, South Wales, 2 miles to the N.E. of Crickhowell."
"GRAIGWEN, a parcel in the parish of Llanbedr, county Brecon, South Wales, 2 miles S.E. of Crickhowel."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|